Need to configure Vista to function on my new desktop

adrian2055

And Exchange 2007 had an x86 version until release. We won't know for sure if Win7 will release in both flavors until release (or until Microsoft says it will release a 32bit version).

Our MS rep said all future OS will be 64bit only. But they are just spokesmen really, MS might change their mind and not even tell those guys until it comes out.

And Exchange 2007 had an x86 version until release. We won't know for sure if Win7 will release in both flavors until release (or until Microsoft says it will release a 32bit version).

Our MS rep said all future OS will be 64bit only. But they are just spokesmen really, MS might change their mind and not even tell those guys until it comes out.

That is the case, but Windows 7 isn't really a new OS. Its a really well polished Vista at best, and its supposed to replace it.

I'm basing this on the 32bit & 64bit Betas previewed at PDC2008.

It is said that about 45% of the Vista problems originate from the drivers. Much more so in 32bit than in 64bit.

Can't disagree with that, but...

64bit is more stable than 32 bit because of the drivers. Only the 64bit drivers are digitally signed, thus they undergo an additional check.

Perhaps, but like I said: Digitally signed drivers may allow for more stability, but then again, the WHQL stamp is trivial at best. Just because it's digitally signed, doesn't necessarily mean it's good.

64bit adoption is growing, but not to an extent where it will become dominant within Windows 7 scheduled release timeframe. For this reason, I believe there will be a 32bit version of Windows 7, albeit the last 32bit version of Windows we will see.

64bit adoption is growing, but not to an extent where it will become dominant within Windows 7 scheduled release timeframe. For this reason, I believe there will be a 32bit version of Windows 7, albeit the last 32bit version of Windows we will see.
We shall see - Server 2008 R2 (i.e. the "Server" branch of Win7) is slated x64 only, so again, we shall see.