MS thinks my XP is not genuine. What are next steps?

98Guy

Hypothetically.

If I get a message saying my XP might be counterfeit or otherwise not legit. I am given a couple of choices (continue with nagging, or I can resolve it).

Can someone explain the on-screen steps that happen if I choose to resolve it?

Is a telephone call involved?

Is an exchange of personal information involved?

PS: If, as part of the resolution process, I have the original windows booklet and windows CD, and the product key sticker is still on the booklet, and -IF- the product key on the sticker does NOT match the installed product key, will I be given a chance to enter the product key on the sticker as part of this resolution?

PS: I understand that Microsoft has a "Product Key Update Tool". Can such a tool be used to change the product key of a system that has failed the WGA test? Can such a tool work on a "system builder" version of XP pro?

Edited by 98Guy

PS: If, as part of the resolution process, I have the original windows booklet and windows CD, and the product key sticker is still on the booklet, and -IF- the product key on the sticker does NOT match the installed product key, will I be given a chance to enter the product key on the sticker as part of this resolution?

Yes, except you need to be absolutely certain that it IS genuine. There are conterfeit versions around that fulfil ALL those conditions. Hologrammed disk, everything...

Use http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtote...;displaylang=en

to check the COA.