Windows Deployment Services and Windows XP

RHYATT

We are testing server 2008 and windows deployment services in our environment. We built a WDS server 2008 box in a lab. created all the boot and captur images. Took a windows XP system that had been sysprep'd and captured the image to the WDS server as a WIM file. Once the capture was done we created the install image from the capture. Then we started the client and booted to the network. When we authenticate to the WDS server we are unable to see the Windows XP image that we captured. We just get a windows that say there are no images available. If I copy the Vista install.wim to the WDS server and set up the install image I am able to see it. I have looked around the net and found lots of information and tried them all but I still can't see the windows XP image.

Thanks

Ron

How I image XP with WDS:

1. Boot to winpe.wim via PXE

2. use imagex to capture image ie. imagex /capture c: z:\xp-pro_standard.wim "boardname Drive C" /compress fast

3. boot new pc to winpe.wim via pxe

4. use diskpart to format drive

5. use imagex to redeploy image ie. imagex /apply z:\xp-pro_standard.wim "boardname Drive C" c:

6. reboot

For native-mode WDS, it can see an install Image for Vista or 2008. If you want XP to be an install image you need to run WDS in mixed mode to have RIS support which you can make install images for XP.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums...1-d149bc90f498/

Edited by Tripredacus

Since I am running Server 2008 with WDS in native mode is there an easy way to switch it to mixed to support my windows XP image?

THanks

Ron

I'm not sure if you can switch after installing it the first time. You can still deploy XP the way I listed above.

That question was asked here before but I forget what the answer is. Make sure to check the Unattended XP and Vista as well as the Windows PE sections, as these areas usually contain more information on WDS.

OK So here is what has been done so far. I found a site that show'd me how to get this working. We used the AIK and extracted the boot.wim from server 2008 and replaced the WINPESH.INI file with one that matched the hal type of our image. then repacked that as a boot.wim and added it to WDS. Now when I boot to that I am able to see my XP image. The only issue is that after it expands the image on to the client and reboots I get an error about the configuration and not being able to access the hard drive. The next time I boot the system I will get the exact error. but that is as far as it will go. Any ideas?

Ron

I also found the solution to the problem I was having after deploying the image to a new PC. We are keeping the DELL diagnostic partition on our workstations. When WDS captures the image and redeploys it the boot.ini is looking for windows in the wrong place. It is trying to boot and look for windows in the DELL diagnostic partition. Corrected this in the windows recovery console and now the system boots fine. I am going to try and correct this issue on the image by mounting the deploy.wim and modifying the boot.ini file. I will post to let you know how this works out.

Thanks

Ron