remotely using another computer thru home LAN

jake21

hi.

i have 2 computers in my mini-offfice place and it's like too far from each other (had to place them that way 'coz of the phone ports for DSL)

and i'm having a hard time going back and forth to do work.

the first computer is for my own personal use.

the second one, other people also use it.

i have an admin account on both of the computers (running Win XP) and the 2 comps are connected to a router (via wireless and the other is thru cable).

i was just wondering if i can control the second computer from my 'personal' computer remotely through the router without having to do something on the second computer.

I tried the "remote assistance" service in XP but i still have to start it on the second computer before i can control it on my personal computer.

is there a software that can do this? like a software that just listens over the LAN and then activate it when asked by the other computer..

thanks

Standard Windows Remote Desktop, all you have to do is set it up to connect on the second computer once and then you can connect to it any time you want. Though if someone else is on it it will result in you kicking them off unless you replace a couple off files to allow multiple users on the machine.

didn't know i can do that.. because last time i tried remote desktop, everytime i try to connect, it always have to ask for confirmation.

is there a setting or option or something that you're doing that i missed?

and how can i do that: just copy/get files from the other computer without kicking the person using the computer.

i still have to set-up the second computer every time i want to remotely use it.

is there a way to remotely connect to the 2nd computer unattendedly?

Install Synergy on both the computers and set it up just once. It runs on boot and allows unattended access 24/7. :hello:

EDIT: don't set it up to start on boot if your using vista. That only works on XP. :thumbup

Edited by accessdenied042