Turn windows features on or off

wcology

i agree that the extra stuff should be there on the installation disk...but be optional upon install. a simple advanced section for advanced users before install windows that lets users opt out of installing various components.

with W7, MS is somewhat listening, its said there will be more features to remove in the "turn windows features on/off" section. but pointless if it still hogs space

secondary drive is one thing, but i prefer to install some games on my SSD, cause they load so much faster and hence why i prefer as much space as possible.

but all i do is browse net and game, so doesnt really require much from an OS. i'm sure a 1 gig OS would do me plenty, too bad Linux doesnt game well or i'd use a lite linux version.

i agree that the extra stuff should be there on the installation disk...but be optional upon install. a simple advanced section for advanced users before install windows that lets users opt out of installing various components.

with W7, MS is somewhat listening, its said there will be more features to remove in the "turn windows features on/off" section. but pointless if it still hogs space

secondary drive is one thing, but i prefer to install some games on my SSD, cause they load so much faster and hence why i prefer as much space as possible.

but all i do is browse net and game, so doesnt really require much from an OS. i'm sure a 1 gig OS would do me plenty, too bad Linux doesnt game well or i'd use a lite linux version.

There's alot you can remove and still retain functionality. Tablet PC, Speech Support, Drivers (remove what you don't use), and WinSXS. WinSXS removal will break windows update.

Removing these will reduce your install size by at least half. Also, disabling the hibernation file, and reducing swap file reduces space too. I set swap to as low as 1:1 for a system with 4GB or more.

Add in some CCleaner to remove junk & temp files and voila!

Edited by brucevangeorge

what about the dreamscene contect packs i downloaded from windows update? i think they're still in my hard drive even though i unclicked them in the features. how can i delete those, which should be about a few hundred MBs, so that it'll even show up in windows update again?

• 2 weeks later...
what about the dreamscene contect packs i downloaded from windows update? i think they're still in my hard drive even though i unclicked them in the features. how can i delete those, which should be about a few hundred MBs, so that it'll even show up in windows update again?

I'm talking about using vLite. You can remove some components through Vista's own wizards. Dreamscene too.

Find out where the default location is and check if they're there. It also helps to do a global search for the extension type.

Google is your friend.

Edited by brucevangeorge