setup did not find any hard disk drives installed

thebrinkster

I've created a nlite installation disk from my Win XP Home (SP2) Recovery CD-ROM (which I believe is actually an WinXP SP installation disk in disguise).

When I boot from my OEM CD, the Windows Text Setup starts and after loading drivers etc I get the option to delete the existing partition etc.

When I boot from my nlite CD, I get hard disk not found - press F3 to quit.

My system:

o Motherboard: ASUS A8V Deluxe with:

- VIA SATA RAID controller - non-RAID MAXTOR SATA hdd

How I nlite'd:

o copy content of WinXP installation disk

o slipstream SP3 (using nlite)

o slipstream WMP11 (using boooggy's WMP11 slipstreamer)

o select addons: IE7, dotNet, ...

o select a few removals (none critical or blocked by app selection)

o select a few tweaks

o create ISO

then I test the ISO on virtual box, burn a cd with ImgBurn and finally test the CD with virtual box.

All went well until I tried to boot the PC from the nlite disk for reel.

I'm guessing the Windows installation is missing the VIA Raid driver - which lives in ...system32/DRIVERS/viasraid.sys (which I've also located on my installation CD in the following folders: I386, I386/NLDRV/001, $OEM/$1/DRIVERS

This is the first time I've tried to create an nlite installation disk, so any help with this problem would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Stewart

I've created a nlite installation disk from my Win XP Home (SP2) Recovery CD-ROM (which I believe is actually an WinXP SP installation disk in disguise).

When I boot from my OEM CD, the Windows Text Setup starts and after loading drivers etc I get the option to delete the existing partition etc.

When I boot from my nlite CD, I get hard disk not found - press F3 to quit.

My system:

o Motherboard: ASUS A8V Deluxe with:

- VIA SATA RAID controller - non-RAID MAXTOR SATA hdd

How I nlite'd:

o copy content of WinXP installation disk

o slipstream SP3 (using nlite)

o slipstream WMP11 (using boooggy's WMP11 slipstreamer)

o select addons: IE7, dotNet, ...

o select a few removals (none critical or blocked by app selection)

o select a few tweaks

o create ISO

then I test the ISO on virtual box, burn a cd with ImgBurn and finally test the CD with virtual box.

All went well until I tried to boot the PC from the nlite disk for reel.

I'm guessing the Windows installation is missing the VIA Raid driver - which lives in ...system32/DRIVERS/viasraid.sys (which I've also located on my installation CD in the following folders: I386, I386/NLDRV/001, $OEM/$1/DRIVERS

This is the first time I've tried to create an nlite installation disk, so any help with this problem would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Stewart

The recovery CD i dont think will be a full version of XP (i may be wrong).

Your nLite cd will need SATA/RAID drivers intergrating at the text-mode part of your installation go to the following site

driverpacks.net

This will allow you to intergrate a big SATA pack into your install CD and then you should be ok.

You could also look in your BIOS to see how your SATA/RAID controller is setup it will probably be set to AHCI or something if you can change this to IDE and then you should not need the driverpacks.

Hope this helps

Stoner81

Edited by Stoner81

Hi Stoner81,

Thanks for the quick response and solution - I'll have a look at the driverpacks site, read the tutorials etc before taking the plunge.

I am still a little confused as to why my OEM (Recovery) CD can detect the hdd located on the VIA SATA controller, whilst the nLite CD cannot - any idea?

Cheers,

Stewart

Because your OEM CD already includes required drivers, while you don't work with a setupcd with integrated drivers or have a floppy disk on hand with drivers, there is no way to see HD.

HD controllers (drivers) are required for "newer" hardware than the windows release you are working with.

Because your OEM CD already includes required drivers...

So the final question on this topic from me... if the OEM CD includes the required drivers, why doesn't the nLite CD (which uses the OEM CD as the starting point) include the required drivers?

Cheers,

Stewart (a confused newbie :wacko: )

driverpacks.net

This will allow you to intergrate a big SATA pack into your install CD and then you should be ok.

You could also look in your BIOS to see how your SATA/RAID controller is setup it will probably be set to AHCI or something if you can change this to IDE and then you should not need the driverpacks.

I download form driverpacks.net storage drivers, I need intergade all, but i dont know how :(

Please tell me how to integrate sata drivers whit nLite (step by step)

Edited by Hellados