Windows 98 SE Instalation

helpdesk98

I just found my win98 SE cd but I cant get it to install I have only installed 1st edtion I put the cd it but when i boot it dose not give me install options in bios. I tried running it has an update on my 98FE but it wont. Any ideas (i dont have floppies)

You need to start your computer from a DOS (win9x boot disk, preferably from win98) with CD-ROM support selected, then type SETUP at the command prompt, after you CD'ed to your CD-ROM drive. You may also need the installation disks/CD-ROM of your old version of Windows if you had deleted it/formatted your hard drive, and your 98SE CD-ROM is the "upgrade" version.

I tried but i dident get far. I used my 98FE to get into dos it wanted the Floppy Drive A:> but i dont have a floppy drive then i booted f8 with the 98SE in and whent into command prompt it gave me C:> my cd drive only comes up has E:> currently I am running 98 FE :( any ideas?

helppb6.th.jpgthpix.gif

Edited by helpdesk98

my cd drive only comes up has E:> currently I am running 98 FE :( any ideas?

The install program is named install.exe and normally resides in the install CD into a folder called Win98. Check your CD and find it (maybe it is called setup.exe or any similar name depending on the language). If autostart doesn't work for any reason, type from DOS:

E:

cd win98

install (or similar)

HTH

Edited by cannie

Actually, it should be like this:

1. At the prompt, type

E:

where E is your CD-ROM drive

2. then you should see:

E:\>

if you do not, type cd E:\

3. Then type SETUP

Note that it's not case sensitive, and you MUST have a DOS CD-ROM driver loaded at start up (like oakcdrom.sys + MSCDEX.EXE).

If you get any messages like "Invalid drive specification" when you access your CD-ROM drive, either you're not using the right drive letter or the DOS CD-ROM driver didn't load properly.

Edited by sp193