Is there a utility to convert FAT 32 to NTFS?

razz2

My OS is XP Home which was installed on the same PC that used to have ME; therefore, my filing system is still FAT 32.

I would like to convert my FAT 32 system to NTFS. From what I have read I understand that this is possible and no data will be lost. I tried entering the following command: "C:\>convert C/FS:NTFS", but a message appears that states the command "is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file".

I have two questions:

(1) I was hoping there is a utility that I can download that would make conversion a lot easier, is there?

(2) Am I correct in thinking that NTFS is a much better filing system than FAT 32 and therefore making converting worthwhile?

Thank you so much for your time, I really appreciate it.

If you are running XP, you can convert to NTFS from FAT32 from within Windows without any external utility.

Open Command Prompt. Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, and then click Command Prompt.

In the command prompt window, type: convert (drive_letter): /fs:ntfs

For example, typing convert D: /fs:ntfs would format drive D: with the ntfs format. You can convert FAT or FAT32 volumes to NTFS with this command.

Important Once you convert a drive or partition to NTFS, you cannot simply convert it back to FAT or FAT32. You will need to reformat the drive or partition which will erase all data, including programs and personal files, on the partition.

Source:

Edited by Witt3439