Generic Sata Hard Drive Drivers

esecallum

I HAVE A ECS 482 version 1.0 AMD MOTHERBOARD but they only supply sata drivers for win2000/xp.

this means i cannot use winme on a sata hard drive.

i was wondering if there are any generic sata drivers you can use for winme as otherwise i either get a windows protection error bsod or it runs in dos compatability mode whe i try to use the sata drives.

emails to MSI AND ECS fell on deaf ear and their website dont offer sata drivers for winme or 98.

at the moment i am using the ide hard drives and cannot use sata drive due to above reasons.

anyone know of generic sata drivers which works on a 9/winme system for this motherboard.

thanks.

Edited by geek
11. Please refrain from using CAPITALIZATIONS in the topic title or when participating in threads because they will not attract attention - instead it will annoy many of MSFN's members.

I HAVE A ECS 482 version 1.0 AMD MOTHERBOARD but they only supply sata drivers for win2000/xp.

this means i cannot use winme on a sata hard drive.

i was wondering if there are any generic sata drivers you can use for winme as otherwise i either get a windows protection error bsod or it runs in dos compatability mode whe i try to use the sata drives.

emails to MSI AND ECS fell on deaf ear and their website dont offer sata drivers for winme or 98.

at the moment i am using the ide hard drives and cannot use sata drive due to above reasons.

anyone know of generic sata drivers which works on a 9/winme system for this motherboard.

thanks.

well i was expecting some help but no one seems to be interested.

i mean there must be someone with sata amd board running winme...

ANYONE?

CAN YOU HELP ME

PLEEESSEEEEE!!!

Have you checked out the driver pages of the SATA controller chip manufacturers?

Like for instance Silicon Image:

http://www.sci-worx.com/support/supportsea...amp;osid=3&

Also, it seems that some chip manufacturers don't keep all their obsolete stuff on their support pages.

For instance, SiS does have a UDMA driver for DOS, but you'll find it somewhere else than at the SiS support pages.

The only other option I can think of is aquiring the W98 DDK, or Driver Development Kit, from Microsoft. I happened to stumble upon a complete package of it while looking for something entirely different on the web. The individual characteristics for each controller chip could perhaps be gathered from the BSD or Linux drivers for that chip. I don't know anything about writing drivers, I'm just speculating here.

Well, maybe not quite, I did actually write one printer driver once, a long time ago. It was about printing out graphics on a daisy-wheel printer. That long ago. : )

I must say it is a bit surprising that despite all those programmers in the open source movement, no one has come up with the idea of developing, or backporting, drivers for older Windows versions. Could be because there's no money in it?

Well, the only existing Universal ATA driver for Windows With PATA/SATA support is Alter's and it's just for NT3.51/NT4/2000/XP. You should try to convince Alter to port it to Win 9x/ME also, as he stated he intended to do someday, or maybe yourself or someone else in these forums might be willing (and have the time) to try it. I'm sure Alter'd be delighted to help, but really doubt he'll ever find time to do it by himself. I'm aware this info is not very helpful, but I never found any SATA drivers for 9x/ME, beseides the VIASRAID pack for VIA chipsets. Sorry!

BTW, read also this thread about uniATA. There you'll also find the SiS SATA driver, of which I'd never heard before.

Edited by dencorso

On this universal sata driver site I read this under the plans section:

"Win 9x/ME support (now we have separate build with some limitation, thanks to Xeno)"

So who knows what is to come. Perhaps you could contact the developer for this version. (Btw, sounds familiar, Xeno...)

On this universal sata driver site I read this under the plans section:

"Win 9x/ME support (now we have separate build with some limitation, thanks to Xeno)"

So who knows what is to come. Perhaps you could contact the developer for this version. (Btw, sounds familiar, Xeno...)

thanks to all who have replied.

still i find it odd that in a win98/me forum people are not using AMD boards with sata hard drives and hence sata hard drives.

however fewer and fewer motherboards are being fitted with ide slots and and ide hard drives are being phased out.

i must admit i am not a fan of sata anyway as they seem to offer marginal improvement outweighed by the hassle of getting them to work and worst of all the sata connectors on sata drives are only guaranteed for 50 insertions due to their delicacy!...i wonder what moron was responsible for such idiocy.

Edited by esecallum

No morons at all. They only want you to throw away your computer every 2/3 years "convincing" you of the goodness of anything new, no matter if you need it or not.

BTW, I wonder who is behind all viruses which attack always all the latest OS and force users to permanent "security updates"...

Edited by cannie