Random (& many) BSODs

MtK

Hi,

I'm expiriencing a lot of BSODs lately, with many other crashed that don't even get to a BSOD but to a system halt (mostly in a black screen).

here is the latest BSOD Technical Information:

stop: 0x00000124 (0x00000000, 0x8500C039, 0xF2000040, 0x00000800)

can any1 help me solve this?

You could try installing the hotfix here, to see if it helps:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;EN-US;952681

I assume you're not hot-plugging any PCI-E device manually, but I wonder if you have a PCI-E graphics card that maybe occasionally isn't getting enough power so it "drops off" and could be considered a hot unplug?

(Just a theory.)

Edit:

Also, could it be overheating? Does the problem tend to occur after the system has been on a while?

Check the grilles are not blocked or clogged up with dust, I've had someone with bizarres issues including poor performance when the fan grille was blocked and the CPU stepped down its speed due to overheating.

You could try installing the hotfix here, to see if it helps:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;EN-US;952681

I assume you're not hot-plugging any PCI-E device manually, but I wonder if you have a PCI-E graphics card that maybe occasionally isn't getting enough power so it "drops off" and could be considered a hot unplug?

(Just a theory.)

I'm not sure what hot-plugging actually means, but I found this hotfix & waiting for MS to sent it over.

just to clearify things, the problem occurs on my LG S1 Notebook & yes it has ATI Readon X1600 PCI-Express...

if I understand correctly, this is caused by either the Graphic Card (maybe drivers?!) or a power supply issue?

Okay, more shooting frmo the hip then :)

Check if there are any BIOS, device/chipset/display driver updates for the laptop.

Was it shipped with Vista pre-installed and had this problem since day 1, or did something get changed afterwards?

Does the problem occur if all network adapters are disabled in the BIOS? (wired and wireless)

Check if there are any BIOS, device/chipset/display driver updates for the laptop.

none that I could find...

Was it shipped with Vista pre-installed and had this problem since day 1, or did something get changed afterwards?

no, it is a 2.5 y/o notebook, shipped with XP (originally).

worked fine with vista till the recent days...

Does the problem occur if all network adapters are disabled in the BIOS? (wired and wireless)

there doesn't seem to be an option in the BIOS to disable any of the network adapters...

Edited by MtK

You could also try disabling the network adapters in Device Manager to see if it makes any difference.

So nothing changed on the system just before the problem started?

No new software installed or upgraded?

Not connected to a new network?

Started immediately after a Windows Update?

Follow the steps here for configuring the system to create a complete memory dump, then compress & upload it somewhere for analysis.

You could also try disabling the network adapters in Device Manager to see if it makes any difference.

So nothing changed on the system just before the problem started?

No new software installed or upgraded?

Not connected to a new network?

Started immediately after a Windows Update?

in the meantime, I'm trying to reinstall the ATI drivers from LG (the provider) & not from ATI/AMD.

and yes, I did a windows Update - for a regular monthly MS Update (+-10 critical updates)

Follow the steps here for configuring the system to create a complete memory dump, then compress & upload it somewhere for analysis.

OK, no problem, I guess CRASH is what we are looking for (more suitable to the case) but just one question:

what is crashing proglem we are monitoring?

what should I write in MYAPP.EXE:

adplus -crash -ctcf -pn MYAPP.EXE -quiet -o C:\AppDumps

OK, no problem, I guess CRASH is what we are looking for (more suitable to the case) but just one question:

what is crashing proglem we are monitoring?

what should I write in MYAPP.EXE:

adplus -crash -ctcf -pn MYAPP.EXE -quiet -o C:\AppDumps

Nope, you are experiencing a bugcheck (blue screen) so you want the section entitled "KERNEL-MODE MEMORY DUMPS" - this is what makes Windows produce a memory dump of the whole system when it crashes.

got it all set u, but I can't do the dump.

I have no enough space available for it (approx. 5GB *2).

I am trying to uninstall unneeded (& big) programs, but of course the computer hangs in the middle of the process.

any ideas?

Just note that the 0x124 STOP error means the following:

Bug Check 0x124: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR

The WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR bug check has a value of 0x00000124. This bug check indicates that a fatal hardware error has occurred. This bug check uses the error data that is provided by the Windows Hardware Error Architecture (WHEA).

Thus, your 0x124 and parameters mean the following:

0x00000000 - This means the error came from the processor, and not an NMI or PCI-E error

0x8537A3B0 - The WHEA error record

0xB2000000 - The high 32bits of the MCA bank that reported the error

0x00010014 - The low 32 bits of the MCA bank that reported the error

Obviously the last three parameters are not useful without a memory dump, but note that *all* WHEA errors are "Machine Check Exception" bugchecks, which means your hardware detected an error that it couldn't correct, so it sent an INT18 to Windows (and Windows then goes through it's routine to bugcheck with either a 0x124 on Vista or 0x9C error on Windows 2000, 2003, and XP).

I'm expiriencing a lot of BSODs lately, with many other crashed that don't even get to a BSOD but to a system halt (mostly in a black screen).

As always, start by running hardware and memory diagnostics - according to the hardware and Windows (not to mention your statement here), you do have a malfunctioning piece of hardware in that system, but without a dump we'll not be able to say what.