SATA Boot Problems - Confused

So, I’m having an issue that I can’t quite figure out. Just reinstalled my OS on a SATA striped raid (2x160gb’s) on the motherboard SATA ports. Installed without issue (in fact I’m using right now to type this). I also have a 1 TB SATA drive for just storage that is ran off of a PCI SATA card. I only have 2 SATA ports on this board. Here is the problem; when I plug in the 1 TB drive and boot the comp I get a boot disk not found error. With it unplugged, boots up just fine. I believe that the BIOS is confusing the drives but I cannot figure out how to tell the BIOS to pick one over the other. My PCI can does not have raid capability if that matters.

If I need to post more info I can. I’m clearly a bit of a novice here so all help is appreciated.

check the hard drive priority in the card's BIOS. what's likely happening is that the card see's the new drive and changes the boot priority. all you need to do is make the drive with the OS #1, and you should boot with no problems.

i have a similar issue every time i boot without my SATA drive plugged in. when i plug it back in i need to re-select it as the boot drive in BIOS. i'm not sure if that's a common issue, or a standard feature.

Actually yanno what? My mobo does recognize the drives on my pci card and allows me to set their ordering between the ones onboard and on pci. Lemme rebbot and I tell you the option better.

It was under advanced options in harddrive managment...

What model is your mobo? SO we can look up the manual.

Edited by Kelsenellenelvian

FIC AN19E Stealth with Silicon Image SiI 3112 SATARaid Controller and the PCI card is a Vantec 2 port nonraid model UGT-ST200 (Driver - Silicon Image SiI 3512 SATALink Controller). When I boot the Silicon Image SiI 3512 SATALink Controller is listed first along with the drive then the Silicon Image SiI 3112 SATARaid Controller. Followed by “no boot disk found”

The Board SATA BIOS does not give me an option for boot priority.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Under advanced:

First /Second/Third/Other Boot Device
The BIOS attempts to load the operating system from the devices in the
sequence selected in these items.
Options: Floppy, LS120, HDD-0, SCSI, CDROM, HDD-1, HDD-2, HDD-3,
ZIP100, USB-FDD, USB-ZIP, USB-CDROM, USB-HDD, LAN, Disabled.

It might "See" the card as drive #0 so you need to play with this order some.

Here is the support page for your mobo (Was a pain in the butt to find :P) http://www.fic.com.tw/support/motherboard/...spx?model_id=48

You might wanna update your bios too.

Edited by Kelsenellenelvian