Unattended Stops

gimpguy

Hi,

I am new to nLite and the forum but found many many tuts on nLite and found it's really NOT hard to use, very nice really.

The only problem I have is after creating the image, I begin install a fresh install and when it gets to searching the devices , says screen may flicker , will take several minutes, window, it stalls at the same spot each time. It simply freezes up, nothing more, no errors, nothing. I checked the .iso, seems to check out fine, burned another copy of the original .iso, not the disk, on 1X to make sure, tried two different burners, same thing.

This leads me to a conclusion, something in the .iso is not correct. I didn't exclude any Windows settings, they were all set to be installed, the only things I did differently were the addons. WMP 11, Firefox 3, Img burn, and another. These were pre-made already so it wasn't my creating them. I did add a back up of all my drivers in the driver folder I created, which have the correct files for install as well. I am thinking it's the add ons or the drivers. The drivers are right off my system though, no downloaded versions. I would assume SP3 "which I used as well" shouldn't cause this, should it?

That said, there is maybe one other thing, my Windows XPpro disk is XPpro SP2. Does this matter? I also tried on MS VM and it does the same.

All this aside, I did everything correctly with the files, followed specific tuts, etc... checking numerous sites to make sure the settings were correct. Any info or "help" would be appreciated.

SPECS: XPpro SP2 Full version, non OEM, completely legal.

Home Built PC with 2 gigs Gskill DDR2 ram, one sata 80 gig WD, one IDE WD 80 gig

Two burners, Sata Lite on DVD\CD RW, one other IDE DVD\CD RW

Asrock Nvidia MB

Thermaltake PSU 500W

One Floppy Drive

AMD 4200 dual core

System 4 months old.

Thanks,

GG

:thumbup EDIT: Got a working .iso now. I included the SP3 file in the folder instead of just extracting to the windows install folder, well, did both actually. Seems to work although haven't seen anyone else have to do so. I think the SP3 wasn't completely updated either, still left 16 criticals but WAY better than 102 updates + SP3 NO? I think so, lol. Anyway, seems to be working now and installed fine so thanks anyway.

GG

Edited by gimpguy

Seems I can't create an unattended...... :angry: Ok, thought everything was fine but I was fooled obviously, won't boot into Windows and back to freezing again. Other problems are... :realmad:

Recreated the whole .iso using ALL defaults, removed ALL addons, removed all drivers I added prior.... It keeps booting from CD or image automatically, repeating unless I release the .iso or eject the CD and I even made sure the boot key configuration was NOT enabled, that was the first thing I checked since it warned about booting to CD in a loop. Also, I get the freezups from the SAME EXACT area of install again, when it states Installing Devices, it freezes about 3\4 the way through in same spot no matter how I create the .iso. I have tried numerous times for hours now, no luck getting a working install disk. Any ideas?

Thanks,

GG

EDIT: forgot to mention, tried installing on diff PC altogether, same issue...

:angry: EDIT2: Ok, thought I finally got through it, wrroonngg... went into finalizing after a simple slip of SP3 and my disk, all default settings, then got a BSOD... :realmad: :realmad: :realmad: I went and installed my SP2 disk, then SP3 after, forget the slipstream with nLite, wasted too many hours already so seems nLite won't work for me for whatever reason. Oh well, can't say I didn't try.

Edited by gimpguy

gimpguy,

I don't have a clue what you are doing wrong but if you look around you will see many people creating ISOs on a daily basic with NO problems. Giving up after one or two days gives you no opportunity to learn how to use nLite which is a very useful and stable tool.

Good luck, John.

use nlite on a clean source.

Using nLite on a fresh installed , legit, XPpro to create the disk\iso. I tried to install on my second drive, on my AMD athlon PC using the disk which has no other OS, plus tried Virtual PC using .iso image and Disk, wouldn't work on any. However, I would consider those all a clean source.

gimpguy,

I don't have a clue what you are doing wrong but if you look around you will see many people creating ISOs on a daily basic with NO problems. Giving up after one or two days gives you no opportunity to learn how to use nLite which is a very useful and stable tool.

Good luck, John.

Yep, I know it must work which is why I stated it won't work for me. I have followed specific tuts, have tried the most basic settings, files, etc... I simply have no idea either what's wrong. I just assume by this point it won't work with my windows SP2 or it's the SP3 causing some issues.

thanks,

gg

Using nLite on a fresh installed , legit, XPpro to create the disk\iso. I tried to install on my second drive, on my AMD athlon PC using the disk which has no other OS, plus tried Virtual PC using .iso image and Disk, wouldn't work on any. However, I would consider those all a clean source.

He did not say to use nLite on fresh XP, you need to use your fresh XP CD. You need to use XP CD that is not modified in any way and that is not nLited before. You can use your XP CD with SPx (x=0, 1, 2, 3) but only with SPx no other changes and not nLited before.

Cheers ;)

Edited by mara-

He did not say to use nLite on fresh XP, you need to use your fresh XP CD. You need to use XP CD that is not modified in any way and that is not nLited before. You can use your XP CD with SPx (x=0, 1, 2, 3) but only with SPx no other changes and not nLited before.

Cheers ;)

Thanks, yep, I ill worded it. I meant fresh install of XP on this machine, plus my non-modified original retail XPpro disk. I recreate the image every time, not use one I already modified. That said, it still loops to boot from cd even if I enable\disable that option, either way it still loops. That's not a big issue of course, I simply remove the CD or in VM, release the iso or CD. So far it works the same exact way in VM as on both my computers, so nice for testing, not too many coasters that way. It still freezes or gives bsod depending. I created two of the SAME exact iso images fresh and each acts differently. I just a bit ago, created an iso on my son's pc for the heck of it, same issue. Used his XP pro disk, non modified, etc... I am still working at it though.

Thanks,

GG

EDIT: here's a good example, ok, just created and tried to install a whole new image, I didn't load settings, I started new but with SAME settings yet again, however, my whole install is different ?? It did finally install, BUT still had the boot from cd issue, took forever to install and seems to have loaded all sorts of settings I didn't choose. Like display version on desktop , etc... yet, it's there? It's like the settings are different each time and I don't know why. Sometimes I have to click next for admin screen during setup, sometimes it's not there etc....

Edited by gimpguy

Well, got a working copy if you want to call it that. I found I can't install addons or drivers with it, I get a BSOD upon addon installation. The addons are all downloaded from the nlite add on sources already cabs. Tried with only certain ones and one with only imgburn, still gave a BSOD. That aside, I can't tweak ANY settings, not even task bar settings in nlite or it won't work right. Still over rides the boot to CD option regardless. It's buggy as heck when running it and slower than slow to install. I even downloaded a new SP3 file to integrate. Nada, same thing. I even installed VirtualBox along side of MS VPC, it does the same thing and in two machines as well. I "much earlier" did install XP then the SP3 on my Athlon without any issues so it's got to be something with nLite. I have no other issues with my OS or any other apps and nLite is creating settings that aren't selected so seems it may be a bit buggy.

GG