setting up PXE on windows 2003

bookie32

Hi again, sorry for the delay in replying with an update! :}

I have been a bit busy of late! Well, in this instance I have gone back to my original idea and used 3com boot services with ghost corporate 8.

I had so many variables which didn't seem to get me anywhere, so I thought what the hell and sat at school with 3com boot services and had it working in about five minutes.... :) I know you are laughing but I did enjoy the learning experience and understand the process a little better now.

WHAT I DID

I had windows server 2003 with service pack 2 already installed. I had a copy of 3com boot services and installed that. I created a boot image with ghost boot wizard choosing the TCP/IP Network Boot Image (uses 3com DynamicAccess Boot Services software to create and image allowing booting from the network without a disk). I chose the PXE Packet Driver from the list and proceeded to next window. There is a choice to use PC-DOS already marked which I chose (you need to add the files from a windows´'95 or ´98 boot disk to use PC-DOS). If you haven't one at home, there are many sites that offer self-extracting windows boot images. The next window gives you the oportunity to add extra parameters - in this instance I chose to continue without adding anything. I chose DHCP in the next but one window and then gave my image a name in the next.

Sorry, hope I am not asking you to suck eggs....LOL The boot image is saved to the folder of your choice and that image is used in conjunction with setting up 3com boot services.

We have as a general rule - the bios protected on the students computers and automatic boot to PXE or network boot as it is also called. After setting up 3com and using ghostcast server to take an image from the students computers - it was a piece of cake. My friend at the school has a very easy time now when creating /restoring images from the server. He basically boots the client computer and F12 and it automatically looks for the boot image from the server.

He doesn't need to have boot cd's now or disable/enable cdrom boot in bios when installing the images. When you have a number of clients it saves quite a lot of time.

If anyone wants a more in deapth description including the setting up of 3com boot services, then don't hesitate to ask.

bookie32

PS Thankyou very much for all your help on this matter!

Edited by bookie32