Virtual memory problems

hi

i put together a machine a little while back and have Xp 64 as my OS. i have 8gb of ram, but am getting low virtual memory warnings sometimes even when is only using about 2 - 3GB in the pagefile. xp64 is all at default settings, and sees all the 8GB of Ram.

any ideas of how i can get rid of this problem?

thanks

When do you get these warnings, and what is the exact wording? Virtual memory doesn't necessarily mean the paging file - you could be low on kernel pool, or desktop heap, for instance, and these would have nothing to do with the paging file or kernel paging (and judging from your statements, I suspect it in fact has nothing to do with RAM or paging file).

thanks for replies.

it never happens when i'm using 3ds Max 2009 (64bit editon). when i'm rendering sometimes the page goes up to 7gb and theres never any problems. but i notice it happening when i'm using 32bit apps like photoshop, is this because they can't use more than 3GB?

On 64-bit Windows there is no /3GB switch, applications have 2GB user-mode virtual address space if they are not compiled with /LARGEADDRESSAWARE, and 4GB if they are.

So yep, that sounds like the ceiling your 32-bit apps are hitting.

Native 64-bit apps would have a theoretical virtual address space of 8TB.

Check out MSDN and Wikipedia for info.

thanks guys. i was worried there was something wrong with my setup. just guess have to wait till theres a 64 bit photoshop and zbrush. Mudbox 2 is going to be 64bit and is out in the next month or so, can't wait to see what kind of polycounts i can't out of it.

any one got a link for xp 64 specific tweaks?

• 3 months later...
hi

i put together a machine a little while back and have Xp 64 as my OS. i have 8gb of ram, but am getting low virtual memory warnings sometimes even when is only using about 2 - 3GB in the pagefile. xp64 is all at default settings, and sees all the 8GB of Ram.

any ideas of how i can get rid of this problem?

thanks

Hi,

did you set the virtual memory setting as system managed size if not set it out and it will take virtual memory more than 16 GB

Cheers

viji