Windows Update Problem

This is exactly what I did to fix the problem of Windows Update recognizing my OS as Vista instead of XP.

Start

Run

regedit

HKEY_CURRENT_USER

SOFTWARE

Microsoft

Windows

CurrentVersion

Internet Settings

User Agent

(default) = Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 6.0

Change Windows NT 6.0 to NT 5.1

This is exactly what I did to fix the problem of Windows Update recognizing my OS as Vista instead of XP.

Start

Run

regedit

HKEY_CURRENT_USER

SOFTWARE

Microsoft

Windows

CurrentVersion

Internet Settings

User Agent

(default) = Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 6.0

Change Windows NT 6.0 to NT 5.1

Can only go down as far as 5.0. Just have cache after that, no user agent. However, if I click on Internet settings tab, rather than open it, in the list against user agent I get Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSE 7.0; Win32)

When I click on Internet settings, or any of the above default comes up as not set. I have checked several other computes running XP and it's the same

Edited by Zambo

SUPERAntiSpyware can also repair the User Agent for IE.

I have installed it and run it. I have also removed Spyware Doctor. Please advise how I remove toolbars, the consequence of this action, and how I reinstall them if I need to. Also please recommend a new free Anti-virus program if I ditch AVG.

Cheers

Edited by Zambo

You don't, nor will you ever need a toolbar. They're useless add-ons that integrate into the Explorer shell and can cause a number of issues.

To reset your user agent you can either use SUPERAntiSpyware or use this registry file for IE7 on XP.

Avast (do a minimal install) is the top pick for an AV for me, Avira's AntiVir is also quite nice.

Just thought I'd let you know my problem is sorted, and to say thanks for everyone who took the time to post on this thread.

I was looking through 'manage add-ons' and noticed that they were all enabled except MUWebControl Class. I enabled this and now when I go start, windows update, I'm taken straight to the screen which allows me to search for and install updates (express or custom) :thumbup:hello: