XP Pro - SysPrep - Mini Setup - Networking

kingsc

If I deploy an image to a workstation, and that workstation is not currently hooked up to a LAN, the LAN Connection does not configure itself and the Create a new connection wizard pops up once you try to get on IE.

Is there a way since I deploy images to multiple machines at the same time to negate this? I want the workstation ready to go with little to no user interaction so that when they open IE it actually goes to the internet instead of the setup wizard, and without having to have the workstation hooked up to the LAN while mini-setup runs.

Are the drivers for the NIC being loaded during mini-setup? I've never run into this but would assume that if the drivers loaded and you had a valid connection IE would proceed normally. Maybe your install of IE needs some tweaking?

I agree, check your NIC drivers after Windows is done. When we run sysprep, it removes the NIC drivers sometimes. Our MS rep says sysprep is designed to do that and is malfunctioning if it allows the drivers to remain installed for some reason.

I agree, check your NIC drivers after Windows is done. When we run sysprep, it removes the NIC drivers sometimes. Our MS rep says sysprep is designed to do that and is malfunctioning if it allows the drivers to remain installed for some reason.

Oh I've tested this image for a while now, I've been developing it for over a month.

It works on the 5 different models currently in use: Dells and Lenovos, desktops and laptops. All drivers are present and functional. It's really not THAT big of a deal, it's just one annoyance I'd like to eliminate.

The driver is there, it's just that if I don't an ethernet cable physically connected to the workstation, after you log in to the machine and open up IE, it goes to the new connection wizard.

If I have a live ethernet cable physically connected to the workstation while setup is going, it doesn't do this.

EDIT - I will check this though right now.

Edited by kingsc

Ok... I must not have had the ethernet cable plugged all the way in or something when I was having this is issue.... took two different laptops with different NICs and it works perfectly fine...

K.I.S.S. , right? :blushing:

I do too. Right now mine covers 27 different models of desktops, laptops and workstations. Driver management is a b**ch, but I'm still saving cycles over having to maintain separate images or extending the build time with an unattended install routine. For my environment, it's the best solution.