Joining Domain Error

mso

I have a difficulty adding a w23k sp1 server to a w2k server domain. Basically, i want to add the w2k server as a member of the w2k server, however, when i tried to add it and got the following messages:

I could ping from w23K to w2k server. Does anyone can give me an advise? Or is there any information that i need to provide?? I am pretty sure there is nothing wrong with the w2k domain because there are more than 30's pc can join the domain. If there is any information is missed please do let me know so that i could collect it and give it to you guys thank you very much.

"Note: This information is intended for a network administrator.  If you are not your network's administrator, notify the administrator that you received this information, which has been recorded in the file C:\WINDOWS\debug\dcdiag.txt.

The domain name XXXXXX might be a NetBIOS domain name. If this is the case, verify that the domain name is properly registered with WINS.

If you are certain that the name is not a NetBIOS domain name, then the following information can help you troubleshoot your DNS configuration.

DNS was successfully queried for the service location (SRV) resource record used to locate a domain controller for domain XXXXXX:

The query was for the SRV record for _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.XXXXXX

The following domain controllers were identified by the query:

xx.xxx.xx.xxx
xx.xxx.xx.xxx

Common causes of this error include:

- Host (A) records that map the name of the domain controller to its IP addresses are missing or contain incorrect addresses.

- Domain controllers registered in DNS are not connected to the network or are not running.

For information about correcting this problem, click Help.
";

I want to just add the computer to the domain. What i did on the w23k server was,

right click -> My Computer -> Properties -> Computer Name -> type in the Domain Name -> click ok....

then i got the above message afterward.

Check the firewall and try with it disabled. On XP SP2 machines this usually helps to allow registering the machine on domain, maybe the same applies for your windows 2003.

Also, a lot of services come disabled as default. Look under the services panel or computer policy restrictions to see what is selected or not by default.

Don't have much experience adding windows 2003 machines onto a local domain but last time I saw someone else doing it, didn't noticed any strange procedures to get this working.

Good luck.

:)

Try checking over the DNS settings of the machine as suggested, make sure you can resolve the FQDN of the server. For example Server.Domain.Com

95% of domain joining problems i have seen are DNS related.

Good luck :)