Removing the "Remote" tab...

shroom

Hi !

I made a new nlited CD with the last SP3 to replace my old SP2 one.

But there's one thing I can't figure out.

On my current installation (running SP3, but installed with my SP2 CD), I don't have any "remote" tab under the system properties panel.

Now whatever I do (disabling/removing services and using the specific tweaks), I can't remove that tab from my new SP3 CD.

Is there a way to do that within nLite (since I know integrate SATA drivers, I've removed my OEM folder with my registry tweaks and it could also have been one of them) ?

Thanks.

ok first thing: XP Pro has a remote tab, XP Home doesnt (just in case)

i know you can remove the tab with:

regsvr32 /u remotepg.dll

and add it back with:

regsvr32 remotepg.dll

so you could add that to your cmdlines.txt and it would disable it after install (not sure if nlite will let you do that somewhere in itsgui or not -its been a while since i worked with nlite)

ok first thing: XP Pro has a remote tab, XP Home doesnt (just in case)

i know you can remove the tab with:

regsvr32 /u remotepg.dll

and add it back with:

regsvr32 remotepg.dll

so you could add that to your cmdlines.txt and it would disable it after install (not sure if nlite will let you do that somewhere in itsgui or not -its been a while since i worked with nlite)

Yeah, sorry, I've forgotten to mention I'm using the Pro version.

So it was probably coming from the cmdlines file indeed.

Case closed :)

Thanks !

• 2 weeks later...

Confirmed this working x64 xp remotepg.dll with remote desktop connection 6.0 installed.

all i did was unregister it. it only exists in my vmware install in system32\ folder. Which is kind unusual.

Good to nail down exactly what each usage everything is for.

I had originally deleted all remote desktop connection entries from registries, which also removed that remote tab, but because i needed to change things i just deleted the batch for removing those reg entries.

Can we delete this file using the Delete box without breaking something else?

Removing anything will break something, you will break remote desktop functionality most likely, and any other things that may or may not need it.

An example of this is wireless dll files that has to do with wireless network usage, is also responsible for network connections service \ cpl functions.

Which is just totally fubar, but that's how it is.

Edited by TranceEnergy

I am not sure, but i *think* one can remove the old remote desktop crap, prior to installing RD 6.0 on xp (6.1 is just for vista atm, was a thing about protocols i think),

at least i KNOW that if old remotedesktop services are deleted the new RD 6.0 will still start, but since i dont have anything to test it with i cant know for sure if it will actually work.

So a bit off topic question, and a funny one, can i remote desktop from host to my own vmware machine ? xD

Then i'd not have to install it on another puter.

To add to the confusion / draw a picture of things in my head, there's:

Windows Remote Service Provider, RoutingandRemoteAccess service, Remote Desktop Help Session Manager service(s), Remote Desktop Connection, Remote Assistance

All of which services and partially dll files i remove AFTER 6.0 RD installed. ( no nlite removal)

However, since so many files are named after Remote Whatever The name, it gets very confusing VERY fast to know what belongs to what.

I dont expect many to need old RD services/programs with new RD6.0 integrated/installed, so i will probably just extract RD 6.0 KB and use those files names as reference, and hope it doesnt break everything.

Then there's also remember that there are files for like microsoft chat, which probably also uses perhaps maybe some of the same files, not that anyone uses microsoft chat, i certainly dont, nor dont know anyone who does,

but there is little fun in just deleting files if you dont know for sure what they are tied up in, to at least be confident that they belong to 1 thing specifically.

So many words i used to say just that, err.

Edited by TranceEnergy