Let's UPX the rarely used dll's in system32 ?

AlfonsoX

The only way to get it done, is to start, or obviously there's not a chance in hell of ever being able to do anything ;D

At least that's one of the thoughts i have, i'll note down problems and somewhere down the road i might find solutions, and i'm pretty confident in that regard.

As far as registry issues, well, reverse engineering will go a long way xD Most likely some issues in general can only be "fixed" by patching various files.

Also another good reason i like is to find files that nlite doesnt remove, which is just pure joy. I'm hoping to upload the s*** in a few weeks when i'm confident that things more or less work.

edit: while these lasts posts i originally thought was off topic, they kind of isn't. Alternative solutions forever =p

On a sidenote/more on topic: It would probably, for majority of files i *think* be doable to have batch files to upx compress and upx decompress files. Then in my head/theory it wouldnt be a problem with windows updating etc.

However most likely one would need to run with wfp/sfc disabled and or/patched.

It wouldn't take much time either to make it, tho i haven't read up on upx command line usage lately.

What would be needed in order to do that?

1 : Well, a complete listing of all files on the windows installed operating system. There's little point in trying to exclude files at start.

2 : Duplicate file list, for compression and decompression.

3 : integrate upx packer in windows with possibly using $OEM to copy files to system32 f.ex.

4 : Testing. If things first dont work, try to exclude files 1 by 1 needed in order to just simply boot. Then try WU files.

OR alternatively there might exist software already that will do on the fly upx compression of files.

I remember some years ago it was popular with software that would zip archive any files, made things a total mess imho =D

Edited by TranceEnergy

pessimization.

obviously computer with low storage also has low processing, slowing the system down(at appllication start and windows boot).

I know how PE's work, dont know how UPX packs the DLL's, but that it will load DLL's multiple times seems logical to me.

Storage is cheap.

All this is sayd before, so u think its useless. And the best solution would be to use NTFS compression. Linux is good in this, it probally has a file system with good compression already.

mitsukai, you are totally forgetting that 4gb is what he maximum has to go on on that disk.

And low storage space and low processing doesnt make sense as you say.

Take my amiga f.example 1000GB storage space and 66mhz. Ergo your argument totally fails, breaks, crushes. It doesnt make sense.

you are right that ther are exceptions to my statement, i was talking generally. Still it does make starting applications slower.

still your statement breaks also. Cause they are microsd of a few gig aenough to store windows. there are external hd's with up to a TB. usb sticks up 16 gig and sd cards up to 32 gig. if not more, im not keeping count.

if for example you have a EEE Box, then i dont think you want compress anything, it will be so much slower.

And not to mention sinds viruses are also packed UPX to hide themself from antivirus, might trigger an antivirus. Then there is also windows debugging which also breaks. And there are more reasons. Thats why im telling you to compression through the FileSystem, this way you dont get such problems.

how is 4 gig not enough? in my nlited i had windows on a 2gig partition, and i dint even optimize that partition for space, nor dint i use ntfs compressions, nor dint i remove pagefile and hibernation file, then there is 2 gig left for applications, which you can make portable versions of and are way smaller. then there is an option to just get more space and its so cheap.

Maybe he plans to install MAME and some old games taking up some space, who knows? Maybe he's crazy enough to run cs3 on it. Who cares? Point is he wanted a way to get more space on iso, and kind of want to keep components it seems.

I agree though that ntfs compression seems like the easiest best way in general. Still upx is great on exe compression..and other files too of course.

Perhaps get hold of PE bundle so he can stick dll files into exe files, saving some more space then, and upx the new exe file.