Windows XP SP3 and USBD.SYS

mcabrera

Hi All,

A very specific question. After installing a full install of XP SP3, I found that some of my USB devices are no longer supported. Specifically, I found that USBD.SYS is gone after installation. Is the file still supported by Microsoft in SP3? Any idea why it might not be in the MSDN version? Do I have to get the file from my SP2 files?

I have no idea. I am running SP3 and its still there on mine (actually I've got it twice, one in drivers and one in dllcache). For interest its version 5.1.2600.0 (so XP SP0). I installed SP3 redistributable version (ie full version ~300MB) over the top of SP2. I think I just downloaded mine from the main MS download. So not sure even if its the same one as you have, I'd assume they'd be the same (but I could be wrong). I'd probably be a little concerned that its gone. Although, personally I'd probably just copy it across from somewhere else if you can, and see if that works.

Hi All,

A very specific question. After installing a full install of XP SP3, I found that some of my USB devices are no longer supported. Specifically, I found that USBD.SYS is gone after installation. Is the file still supported by Microsoft in SP3? Any idea why it might not be in the MSDN version? Do I have to get the file from my SP2 files?

For a point of reference, I have MSDN CD containing WinXP Pro + WinXP Home, it is the original (aka Gold), service pack 0. I pulled the Pro portion and integrated SP3 using nLite, then I integrated the latest windows updates and a bit more using HFSLIP, then I removed just a few things using nLite. I used nLite to burn to CD. I used TomCat76's updates list (http://hfslip.org/hflists.html).

After installing from my WinXP Pro w SP3 integrated CD, USBD.SYS is listed in c:\windows\system32\drivers. This is the only place it appears.

Hope this helps,

Lilla

Edited by Lilla