Restricting Partitions

DRauch

Well, I'm in search of a way to restricting Partitions. Not quite sure what exactly to call it, so I'll explain.

I have 3 partitions:

C: (30gb)

D: (20gb)

E: (110gb)

Now, C: & D: are each an operating system:

C: is my default windows install. Nothing removed... Stock as can be. Using it for programming/video editing.

D: is my gaming install. Completely stripped with the exception of a few things that may be needed to play games and such.

E: is going to be my shared partition containing file backups, music, videos, etc.

Here is where I am stuck. I am trying to make both windows installs (C & D) only access E. I don't want them to access eachother in anyway. I don't even want them to have the ability to see eachother. Just the ability to read/write to E.

Any clue on how to start doing this?

Easiest would be when booted in C: to remove in Disk Management the assignment of the drive letter to D:.

And when booted in D: to remove the assignment of the drive letter to C:.

BE VERY careful NOT to remove the Drive letter from the currently booted system partition!

You may need to manually assign a different letter to drive E:, say Z: in both system /one at the time), then make it E: again, just to make sure it is statically assigned.

jaclaz

You can use MOUNTVOL, then.

Open a command prompt and type in it MOUNTVOL [ENTER].

If you do not have mountvol in your install, it may work if copying it from the main one. :unsure:

To remove drive letter X: type

mountvol X: /d [ENTER]

jaclaz

Okay. Great. Mountvol worked perfect..

Just curious if maybe there is some way to logout and login to the other partition. Instead of having to do a hard reboot to the boot menu, possible a way, or tool to relog to the other OS? By and means is this possible?

Okay. Great. Mountvol worked perfect..

Just curious if maybe there is some way to logout and login to the other partition. Instead of having to do a hard reboot to the boot menu, possible a way, or tool to relog to the other OS? By and means is this possible?

No way without reboot.

There are however programs that allow you to "pre-select" the system that will be booted at next boot.

jaclaz

P.S.: here is one:

http://www.maddogsw.com/bootchooser/

Edited by jaclaz