x64 slipstreaming

oao

I am puzzled by this: the whole point of slipstreaming is to install an updated OS. But if I already have a 64 OS installed, the usefulness is only in the future IF I ever must reinstall the OS.

Slipstreaming from a 32 OS would be much more useful because one would have a 32 OS installed prior to the 64 OS.

Isn't that possible technically, or what?

Thanks.

i just remember i have linked to this before... on this forum..

I figured out how to slipstream SP2 for an x64 XP CD fileset while from 32bit Windows. Download the Windows2003 SP2 32bit version (WindowsServer2003-KB914961-SP2-x86-ENU) and the x64 SP2 (WindowsServer2003.WindowsXP-KB914961-SP2-x64-ENU) files from MS. Extract them both with your favorite compatible file archive util ( I used Uniextractor ). Copy the binary files (dll/exe/msi) from the 32bit version's 'update' folder into the 'update' folder on the 64bit version. I used nlite 1.3.5 to do the integration but I suspect the appropriate commandline execution of 'update.exe' would also work.

http://neosmart.net/blog/2007/windows-xp-x...ack-2-released/

Edited by TranceEnergy

Thanks, but i don't understand what he did.

Both SP's are EXE archives. In order for his method to work you have to copy the UPDATE folder from one such archive to another. When I tried this with 7-zip, it said "Such interface is not supported".

I don't know how he could integrate with nLite using the files, because they don't work like the EXE archives of the SPs.

I am confirming that the method you referred me to works.

I copied the the update binaries from the x86 sp2 to the x64 sp2 and used the update /integrate command and it slipstreamed SP2 into XP64.

So now I need a way to slipstream the hotfixes in a x86 environment. Integrator and nLite must be run in a x64 environment to splistream the x64 version of xp.

The VM option is too much hassle. Perhaps I there is a kind soul who runs x64 to whom I can upload my CD files, have him integrate the hotfixes and email me back the finished version. I can't say I like to burden another with this though.

what i do is qucikly make a lite x64 disc, install it, then from there make the new one

the problem is that the creation of a XPlite disc must be done from an installed x64

system, so you must install full xp64 to create the XPLite, then install the latter. too much hassle.

however, I was able to apply the sp2 to xp64 from x86 via the command line as posted earlier, and

then it turned out that Integrator worked too within x86 and applied all hotfixes.

It also appears that nLite does not refuse to work on the slipstreamed copy anymore, so I am gonna try to use it to streamline xp, add drivers, tweak and write the CD.

the problem is that the creation of a XPlite disc must be done from an installed x64

system, so you must install full xp64 to create the XPLite, then install the latter. too much hassle.

wrong, you can do most of it fine, it's just slipstreaming (and possibly hotfixes?)

what i do is qucikly make a lite x64 disc, install it, then from there make the new one

To what end? What purpose? What is the point of doing 1 install to just reinstall after that again?

I can think of some reasons but i want to hear yours.

quickly making a super light x64 and then from that doing slipstreaming etc.. saves faffing around trying to do it in 32bit.. no other reason

That would involve backup the system or creating another partition. Ergo, it's not a solution.

Sure it will do the job, but it isn't very helpful, anyone could think of that or do that.

Better to have a solution that doesnt require to install a os to make an install for os.

As you can see that is ridiculous.