cant use my laptops oem key with my "oem" cd?

jdgordon

hi all,

I'm trying to reinsall xp pro on my laptop with a retail cd which I've fixed to be OEM but it wont accept the cd key.

my setupp.ini looks like:

[Pid]

ExtraData=786F687170637175716954806365EF

Pid=55274OEM

any ideas hoe to get this working?

hi all,

I'm trying to reinsall xp pro on my laptop with a retail cd which I've fixed to be OEM but it wont accept the cd key.

my setupp.ini looks like:

[Pid]

ExtraData=786F687170637175716954806365EF

Pid=55274OEM

any ideas hoe to get this working?

Where are you getting the OEM key? The reason I ask is because if you have (for instance), a Dell laptop with an OEM XP sticker, that number printed on it won't work to install XP (even an OEM version). The number printed on the sticker is nothing more than a "proof of purchase", since Dell's OEM CD's come with the product key already pre-written and they use a hardware based validation method. I believe other manufacturers like HP also use similar methods. If this is the case, you'll probably need to contact the equipment manufacturer.

This may not be your problem, but regardless, we will probably need more information to determine what (if any) steps you can take to LEGALLY do what you're trying to do.

Edited by TheFlash428

yep, from the sticker on the bottom of the laptop... 2lenovo/ibm laptops, one toshiba... cant insta with the key from any of them

Yeah, and I'd guess you won't be able to either. You *may* be able to contact either Lenovo/ibm or toshiba customer support to get a replacement CD to install XP (preferably), or perhaps a restore CD.