how to update Windoze 98 SE (fresh reinstall) ?

Ninho

Hi ! Due to a failed 40 Gig Maxtor diamond max (grr...) I've lost all my OS installations. Repairs will be long... Anyhoo, for a start, I've reloaded a fresh Windows 98 SE OEM (French) to an older computer. Went to the MS update, and behold! much to my distress, Windows Update says /zero/ update for my OS ! I knew they had stopped adding /new/ updates, but I /thought/ I would still get all the updates released until end of support ; how naive I was !

Hence my question, how could I update that system ? I mean, it's a French edition - I have no choice here - is there an "unfficial service pack" for this ? Or at least a list of applicable updates, with URLs to fetch them from ?

Thank you !

__

Ninho

First, I must correct my above disgusted statement about windows update somewhat :

Windows Update says /zero/ update for my OS ! I knew they had stopped adding /new/ updates, but I /thought/ I would still get all the updates released until end of support ; how naive I was !

That was using the original Internet explorer version bundled with windows 98 SE (aka IE5).

However, a visit to Microsoft Download Center (not windows update!) let me find and install IE6 SP1, localised in French

-> For whomever it might help, here's a handcrafted, direct URL - warning : URL may change in a not so far future :

<http://download.microsoft.com/download/ie6sp1/finrel/6_sp1/W98NT42KMeXP/FR/ie6setup.exe>

... after installing the above, the windows Update, version 4, site does offer 24 critical and 42 non-critical updates for a start :=)

So, it appears MS are still maintaining the updates for this unsupported OS - although the clueless who won't know to update their internet explorer first thing after (re)installing the OS will never know.

... links to a beta "SP3" and a stable "sp2.1a" both in english and in french.

I'm sure people will come with further fine tuning.

Good to know ! Thanks Ponch !

Cheers,

--

Ninho

Edited by Ninho

Thanks to webmatze:

Updated french version is available here:

http://www.divshare.com/download/4984021-6f6

The bug with shell32.dll has been corrected.

I couldn't reproduce the other described by CharlesF, i made a clean install, installed SESP3, IE6 and MP9 and embedded wmv are playing correctly...

This french version includes some exclusives features:

Windows Me utilities (Defrag, Regedit, Scandisk and My Pictures screen saver)

Windows Me Folder Style in explorer

Windows Critical update notification

euro conversion tools

Maximus decim USB driver v3.3