IP and DNS issues

could someone tell me why there are 2 IP addresses in the wireless connection and why there are another 3 DNS entries.

The connection is set to DHCP and is picking up an address, however all of the sites I try and visit the machine just looks to 1.0.0.0. If I enter a ip address for a site then it will go to the site, this is a problem in both IE and Firefox.

The problem isn't the router either as I have 3 other machines happily running off it.

Thanks

post-130136-1216466607_thumb.jpg

Edited by eskimo427

could someone tell me why there are 2 IP addresses in the wireless connection

IPv4 and IPv6.

and why there are another 3 DNS entries.

It's perfectly normal to have this many DNS server entries too.

all of the sites I try and visit the machine just looks to 1.0.0.0

You've established this how? Either ways, it sounds like your router (or whatever device is at 192.168.1.1) has some issues with DNS requests (perhaps the sites IPs are in the DNS cache of other machines, who knows?) Try to flush your DNS cache on your clients, and see what happens. The best thing to do to find out for sure what the problem is, is to log some traffic with Wireshark (try loading a couple web pages), then we can have a look at it (the requests and the replies) and tell what's wrong without guessing.

try browsing to http://66.249.81.99 on that pc and see what happens, Then we can be certain that DNS is the problem here.
If I enter a ip address for a site then it will go to the site

Like I said, a Wireshark capture would let us see exactly what's going on: if the requests are made properly, that the router gives proper answers and all that (for both IPv4 and IPv6 traffic). Then if it gets the right answers, and uses another IP, then we can blame windows for it.

Perhaps 192.168.1.1 is a server and he's running his own [misconfigured] DNS, some routers also send invalid replies to IPv6 devices (blame dproxy), etc. There's tons of possibilities here, and again, a Wireshark cap would let us know for sure if the problem is with the computer or the network, and propose solutions based on that instead of the current guessing game.

And indeed, since everything resolves to 1.0.0.0 it's not the hosts file (what's the odds of every web site being in there in the first place?)

Did I mention a Wireshark cap yet? ;)

A) You've established this how? B) Either ways, it sounds like your router (or whatever device is at 192.168.1.1) has some issues with DNS requests (perhaps the sites IPs are in the DNS cache of other machines, who knows?) C) Try to flush your DNS cache on your clients, and see what happens. The best thing to do to find out for sure what the problem is, is to log some traffic with D) Wireshark (try loading a couple web pages), then we can have a look at it (the requests and the replies) and tell what's wrong without guessing.

A. I established this by the fact IE tells me the page it's looking for at the bottom!

B. Like I said I'm using a router which is working correctly on 3 other machines. (not a misconfigured server!)

C. I tried flushing the DNS on the non working machine and this didn't work, why would I do it on the machines that do work?

D. http://wiki.wireshark.org/CaptureSetup/WLA...de5f2305c490dfd Read the last lines of the first paragraph.

Did you actually read the post and have a look at the picture I posted or did you skim over it and fill in the blanks yourself? If you'd have read it properly then most of the questions you asked had already been answered.

I did not come onto this forum to be insulted by what I can tell is a helpdesk wannabe who knows the names of a few tools that people at work have told him about. You obviously have no clue to the issue I'm having so please don't post for the sake of doing so.

I did not come onto this forum to be insulted by what I can tell is a helpdesk wannabe who knows the names of a few tools that people at work have told him about. You obviously have no clue to the issue I'm having so please don't post for the sake of doing so.
Suite yourself, this is not the way we "work" here on the forum. Besides that, read the rules... again.

- TOPIC CLOSED -

eskimo427, you have been warned!