window xp sp2 network version

rfwdwork

Hi, I am rfwdwork. at the time I got my computer it had windows sp2 standard edtion loaded on it, I just hooked it up to a network and wondering, can you install sp2network edtion on a machine that has sp2 standard edtion? Or don't I have to? Question 2, Now that sp3 is out should I install the network version? Thank you and if you could be so kind, could you please send responces to my email address, rfwdwork@msn.com . I would really appreciate it very much as it be alot easier for me get them and or read them. thanks again rfwdwork, PS, I am still new to this forum.

Sorry I'm not quite clear what you mean when you say "Standard Edition" and "Network Edition". Do you mean you have XP Home and would like to go to XP Pro or do you mean something else?

As for the network version of SP3, the "Network Installation Package" is designed for use by a network admins to install to multiple systems over a network. If you are updating only one PC you can download SP3 from Windows Update and you will find it will be a smaller download. If you plan to slipstream (integrate) SP3 onto your current XP CD or have multiple PCs to upgrade, or you just want to have a copy of the complete package for future use download the "Network Installation Package" otherwise just install from Windows Update.

Posting you email address on here is a bad plan (unless you like SPAM). Generally people will not post advice to personal email addresses as the purpose of a forum like this is to share information and advice and to provide a resource to others in the future asking the same question. You can choose to have emails sent to you by the forum so you know when there has been a response.

Good luck with it!

i think he means a standard install of sp2 vs network install of sp2. they both will update your system to the same sp2, it doesn't matter which you use. the only thing is that network install is for network installation which allows slipstreaming.

so, it doesn't matter which sp3 you download. if you are using it for home, then download standard as it is smaller. if you want to slipstream, then download network. otherwise, you will end up with the same sp3 upgrade no matter which you use.

at the time I got my computer it had windows sp2 standard edtion loaded on it, I just hooked it up to a network and wondering, can you install sp2network edtion on a machine that has sp2 standard edtion?
What you mean is when you bought your computer it was running Windows XP SP2, and now you have connected it to a LAN.

There is nothing you need to do, XP SP2 = XP SP2 regardless of how the service pack was applied or whether it is/was connected to a network or not.

Now that sp3 is out should I install the network version?
SP3 = SP3, the difference is with the delivery.

If you go through Windows Update you will have the necessary files downloaded to update you to XP SP3.

If you download the redistributable service pack installer then you have more files than you need, but only the same ones that Windows Update would deliver are actually applied (the ones you need).

It may be useful to get the redistributable SP3 installer package and save it away, as your install media will most likely be SP2, so if you come to clean install you would have a large download to perform again - but if you have SP3 handy you can just run it immediately after installation.

No worries. Glad to be of assistance.

XP Home should work fine for you and do eveything you want. If you do find there is something you wish to do that you can't with XP Home, you may be able to find a work around. Otherwise Home should be fine.

If at some point you do decide to go for XP Pro, I'm pretty sure you'll need to do a clean install as I don't think you can do an upgrade install from Home to Pro.

Sounds like you're all sorted!