My monitor died in its sleep

Sysdll

My 10 year old Sony GDM 400PS wouldn’t come on this morning. The usually green power light now blinks yellow. Before I send it to its final resting place I was wondering if anyone here knows of a way to resurrect it?

This monitor has been great for Photoshop and I’d like to keep it if I can.

There's some electronics resources/sites for monitor repair. But, it's not exactly the easiest thing. It requires solid electronics knowledge, equipment you probably don't have, and often shop manuals which can be hard to find (not free).

Besides, I don't recommend people open their CRT TVs or monitors as they're VERY dangerous. The voltage generated by the flyback is often around 30000 volts. You could easily kill yourself if you do something wrong.

Besides, it's just a 19" model. You can get high end 24" LCDs around 500$ now. If you go for the lesser models (using TN panels) or smaller ones, then it'll be even cheaper (you can find some 22" models around $200).

Most new models are also widescreen, and I find that helps a lot with photoshop. On a 4:3 monitor you don't have a whole lot of space left between the toolbars, but with the new 16:10 LCDs you got LOTS of screen real estate left.

But if you are adventureous, you could start here. (as soon as the Sony eSupport site comes back up)

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/model-faq.pl?mdl=GDM400PS

They are back up. Try the simple things first.

The monitor power light is blinking and there is no picture.

Solution

Follow this procedure to troubleshoot the issue.

NOTE: Because each of these steps represents a possible solution to this issue, check the monitor status after completing each step.

Disconnect the monitor power plug, wait a few minutes, and then reconnect.

Remove the monitor power plug from any surge protector or power strip and plug it directly into a known working electrical wall outlet.

NOTE: If the monitor works correctly when removed from a surge protector or power strip and plugged directly into a known working electrical wall outlet, the source of the issue is the surge protector or power strip.

Disconnect the monitor data cable from the computer, check for bent or broken pins.

Perform a monitor self-test .

NOTE: If the monitor self-test fails, the monitor may need service.

If possible, connect the monitor to another computer.

NOTES:

If the monitor works on another computer, there is a problem with the original computer video hardware or software display settings.

Some software, particularly games, allow for configuration of monitor settings such as screen size. Incorrect settings can cause the monitor lights to blink and the screen to be blank.

If the issue is still unresolved after completing all of the troubleshooting steps, service may be required.

(The power supply or the horizontal deflection circuitry has shorted)

Edited by RJM

(The power supply or the horizontal deflection circuitry has shorted)

Now I know the cause of death.

I’m shopping for an LCD and in the meantime I picked a free monitor on Craigslist that will work for now.