Windows must now restart because the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) servi

cokesmoke

I've been bothered by this problem for quite some time, so I thought that I should check in here to see if anyone here could help me in what has turned out to be a totally fruitless search so far:

When I'm connected to a wireless network with a nLited XP, it seems to disconnect awfully often, and after some time spit out the following message: "Windows must now restart because the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) service terminated unexpectedly" and I get 60 seconds to save all my work before the computer restarts.

After some searching I figured that it MIGHT be a win32.blaster worm or some variant of that, but both the symantec tool and avast! turned up blank after the scanns.

I tried upgrading to Vista in hopes that it would dissapare there, but the WLAN still disconnects FAR too often, and still no luck in finding the win32.blaster (or anything else).

Any help would be greatly appreciated ^^

It probably is a virus. Probably the dreaded Blaster virus.

Probably because ports are open. You probably don't have a NAT router.

A firewall is required!

Windows XP, starting with service pack 2, has a firewall by default.

Windows Vista includes a firewall already.

*If you slipstreamed service pack 2 or later, make sure Windows Firewall is running!*

Edited by RJARRRPCGP

The only thing I used nLite for was to disable alexa, integrate service SP2/SP3 and make unattended install.

I'm a bit lazy so I integrated the driverpacks.net after nLiting (And that hasn't given me any problems earlier >_>)

Hmm interesting. I still think that the wifi issue must be caused by something on that CD. Its just too much coincidence that you and your brother are experiencing the same problem even though you use different hardware. The only thing in common is that CD. Normally I may not be so quick to suspect this, but seeing as the problem only appeared on your brothers system after he had reinstalled with your modified XP CD it just seems to likely! Perhaps it is using the wrong driver from the driverpack? Perhaps the driver got corrupted at some point such as download, CD burning or scratched CD? When you say it hasn't caused any problems before, did you use the same driverpack on the same hardware? If so then that is very strange, if not then there are many things that could've gone wrong this time that didn't last time!

As for your ongoing RPC issue, I'm not sure at all about that one. Did you end up trying a repair install from an original (non-nLited Retail XP) CD?

Wait, wait, wait.

Did you both use the Driverpack on your CDs?

Those Driver packs are meant to be used for PE installations - Windows that runs from a CD. What're you doing installing driver packs on a real Windows install? Something wrong with taking the 5 minutes to look up the proper drivers for your devices? =|

Wait, wait, wait.

Did you both use the Driverpack on your CDs?

Those Driver packs are meant to be used for PE installations - Windows that runs from a CD. What're you doing installing driver packs on a real Windows install? Something wrong with taking the 5 minutes to look up the proper drivers for your devices? =|

Surely not!?! I don't recall Bashrat making any sort of comment in that regard.

I have used driverpacks in the past very successfully. It can be very handy having an XP install disk with driverpacks for doing a quick clean install on a fatally broken system (in an OS sense), especially on an older system that probably needs a clean install anyway.

Having said that, as you are suggesting Volatus, for a personal nLited install disk it does seem like asking for trouble when 10-15 mins more research could do it for you. I mean if you already have your system functioning prior to reinstall you can just harvest the non-MS drivers off it and integrate them into your CD (using nLite).

[edit] Just had a quick look at Bashrat the Sneaky's DriverPacks (http://driverpacks.net/DriverPacks/) and its pretty clear that he built them with the intention of being able to have a single XP disk which could install on (virtually) any hardware. Personally I still think its overkill to use driverpacks on your own nLited CD cause you're lazy, but on the other hand it shouldn't cause problems.

Edited by JedMeister