Windows Mobile Device Center won't install

Volatus

Yeah, the Vista killer is using Vista on his main PC now, at least for a well deserved second chance. So far I've actually found that, after removing 4.5gb of unnecessary crap from the OS using vLite, I may actually be able to use this stupid thing...

If only it weren't so unnecessarily revamped. SO MUCH STUFF has changed, and coming from a world of XP, this crap makes no sense. I'm half relying on "dummy mode" in Vista now, to get hints on where all this stuff has moved to...

So I tried installing "Windows Mobile Device Center" for my WM6 PPC. It doesn't even give a half attempt at installing, it just crashes with an error about "windows mobile device center could not be installed because at least one required Windows component is missing". How nice of it to tell me what is missing. I thought Windows Installer was supposed to fix that problem...

Anyway, I dig through the log file and I find several lines referencing "CheckIfWpdPresent" and failing because it comes back "0" instead of 1, so it intentionally halts. What the heck is WPD? I don't recognize that acronym from anything I've seen. And is it restorable? I'm not exactly hot on the idea of reinstalling Vista again... although it only took 15 minutes off a USB stick ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the, uh, try though ;)

(Hey, you know, when I notice my fail... I just make it a footnote edit. You don't have to delete your whole post - now I'm left wondering what was said!)

Now I need this fixed more than ever... evidently ActiveSync (which everyone in the Pocket PC world seems to ASSUME that you have working) is able to do a filetype conversion that there is no Windows equivalent for - PWI note files! I have a lot of data in PWI files that I need to convert to text... =(

• 2 weeks later...
Anyway, I dig through the log file and I find several lines referencing "CheckIfWpdPresent" and failing because it comes back "0" instead of 1, so it intentionally halts. What the heck is WPD? I don't recognize that acronym from anything I've seen. And is it restorable? I'm not exactly hot on the idea of reinstalling Vista again... although it only took 15 minutes off a USB stick ;)

WPD is "Windows Portable Device" Driver Model. Try to manually reinstall the Mobile Device Center from here