Required Security Updates for Windows 98 SE

I am preparing a computer for a retiree who is on a fixed low income. I have installed Windows 98 SE on the computer and I was wondering if there is a list of recommended required security updates available. This person will be using a dial-up modem so I'd like to get the updates installed before handing the computer off to her.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

John

Wouldn't she be better off with linux?

For a fixed low income, free auto-updates would be a big plus, no?

If you're opting for 98, I assume Microsoft Office 2008 is not on the menu, and since it is a retiree I'm assuming the same regarding the latest games. For just eMail and web, wouldn't a small linux be much preferable?

At the very least, the lack of runtime crashes after the initial configuration (by you) is done would certainly help her. Or are you offering on-going support as well?

You could try the Upgrade Pack for Windows 98.

http://www.bpa23.host.sk/wupg.html (by time also the newest IE6 cumulative updates are available for download)

But the question is, if you are using IE 6, WMP 9.0 DirectX 9.0c...all the newer progs

or just the common pre installed IE 5.0 and so on?

If you're using the program versions up there I think WUPG98 could be a soultion.

In that situation you might check if a new cumulative Internet Explorer 6 update is available to install on 98SE,

you should check what the newest is. But in fact for IE 6 security updates come out very often.

Check the forum for further announcements or info.

Edited by winxpi

Thank you for the quick responses. The elderly lady who I am attempting to get up and running has had Windows 95 and just primarily uses the e-mail segment of windows and internet explorer. I'm not too familiar with Linux, so consequently I can't really offer her any assistance in that area. I have run Linux from a CD and it would probably be something tht I would enjoy once I had the time to learn the OS. I will continue to offer her support. I'm installing Vista and Zone Alarm (both free versions) along with some Adware blocking software. I can't load her up with too much as she gets easily confused and overwhelmed.

I appreciate your feedback and your quick responses.