Problem with Direct X7 with New GPU

T.N.G.O.G.

My system specs are at the bottom in my sig. Anyways, i am using a Visiontek ATI Radeon 2400 HD PRO PCI card. Using the Visiontek Driver 8.3.

Now this might be a driver issue and until Visiontek releases an updated driver, i am stuck with this problem. Anyway, when i go to my DXDIAG tool, and do a D3D test, you know the spinning cube, well Direct 8 and Direct 9 cubes are spinning normal and smooth. But Direct X7 the cube is spinning weird, it skips a bit and jerks around. I read somewhere that the 2400 HD cards doesn't support Direct X7, only 8, 9 and 10.

Now i didn't have this problem with no other card expect this one. Even with my Geforce 6200 overclocked 256mb pci card this problem never showed up.

So anyway, by directX7 spinning so slowly and jerking around, READ: Some of my older and new games moves really really choppy and drags alot.

I can't even play games like UNREAL GOLD, a game which came out in 1999 right? The game moves choppy, slow frame rates, etc.

So i wanted to know, should i have a D3D X7.DLL file located in my system32 folder or should i just wait for another driver?

Also keep in mind, this doesn't happen with every older game, only a few of them. When heavy textures come into play, the game starts to move slow.

Has anyone else had this problem before? Do directX10 cards have a problem with " some old directx games?"

Hi T.N.G.O.G., welcome to the forum.

My first question is: Did you make a clean install after adding the card? Or, did you just remove the old card and placed the new one without cleaning out the drivers from the "older" card?

I play DX 7 games myself from time to time on a 2600XT (PCI-E) and have found none of those problems. I must say that I use Vista 64 bit.

Hello,

I always uninstall the old drivers using driver cleaner pro. But see, i don't have this problem with none of my other video cards, before i bought the 2400 PCI, i was using the 6200 OC and never had any problems, neither with my FX5500.

Also, keep in mind, i am not having this trouble with every game. It seems like there is a conflict with DX7 and it causing certain older games and newer games to become unstable. Visiontek said they are testing out a new driver and plan to release it soon, so maybe the newer driver will fix the problem.

Btw what it seems like it seems to be struggling with DX7 hardware features or something. I just tried to play Aliens vs predator 2 and the game is crawling , but when i look up in the sky it moves over 50fps, but once i stop looking towards the sky, and face the textures or whatever, and start walking around, or even turn around, the game is moving at 8-10fps.

Why would a dx10 struggle with old games, or have problems viewing textures?

My guess its a driver issue, and i hope visiontek can fixed it.

I am going to try some of the tweak drivers or just try every ati driver lol, if none of them work, i guess i will just play what i can and hope visiontek can release a new driver soon.

If not, soon i am buying a Geforce 8 series.

Thanks for the help and if i fix the problem i will come back and tell you!