Setupdir for drivers

Tripo

Hello When I´m instyalling win98.

wich is the setupdir for the drivers.

win98 does not have the drivers but I have them so I was thinking of extract the drivers to the setupdir for win98.

before I install win98. So windows can use my driver under the install process.

wich is the setupdir for the drivers

You may have the drivers on any folder of your hard drive, using DOS to copy them, always unziped of course. The install program will ask you where are they, and you only have to answer the question. No problems at all.

wich is the setupdir for the drivers

You may have the drivers on any folder of your hard drive, using DOS to copy them, always unziped of course. The install program will ask you where are they, and you only have to answer the question. No problems at all.

Yes but if I out them in the right setup dir windows will find them be him self and not asking just install them.

so wich is the setup dir for drivers during win98 install.

Yes but if I out them in the right setup dir windows will find them be him self and not asking just install them.

No it won't. Unless you plan on manually editing the registry, you will need to use the add hardware wizard, which is not so cooperative.

If you place the inf file in Windows/inf, it may find it in "Search for best drivers". It would still ask for the location of the dlls and vxds, even if you already placed them in the places to which they should be installed.

In fact, doing that would make things even worse: It expects the drivers to be in a single installation folder, even though after installation they may end up in various system folders. This is particularly annoying when you try to reinstall a driver you already installed: Unless you still have the driver's installation folder unpacked, you will be forced to look through the individual system folders for the files, often having to go back and forth between the same folders as it installs files in an order that does not group them by destination folder. Windows will never acknowledge it already has the files, and will even mark the driver as improperly installed if you try to skip any of them.

No it won't.

Yes, it might do just that.

Tripo- the Windows installation folder is C:\WININST0.400 but you are going to have some troubles getting your files in there while Windows is installing. Perhaps a better place to put them would be the same folder that is holding your installation CAB files as suggested by cannie but the executable there is not Install.exe, it is always Setup.exe. This would be impossible from the MS Win98 CD but most experienced Windows installers are installing Windows from a Hard drive folder anyway. You just copy the Win98 folder from the CD to your hard drive and run Setup from that folder. It's 10 minutes faster and results in bug free installations as well.

Windows will always look to the cab installation folder first and use all expanded files found there first as well so if your hardware is detected and your inf files match the hardware, then you get exactly what you wanted here - you won't even be notified of the driver installation, it will just happen as if the files were on the CD to begin with. This is exactly how a Custom (OEM) Windows installation was made to be possible in the first place. Good luck.

SlugFiller - I don't know what to say, it sounds like you've been through the ringer two or three times on this one. But all that stuff above is true, you can even make Setup use different text messages while it installs your version of Windows as well as use different pictures for the slide show. It's all customizable, by original design.

Soporific's custom billboard screen for UBCD