RakingWinds

Chozo4

Just throwing this up here to see what others think of it really.: http://asakura.t35.com

It is a new personal site of mine after having run the 'MechWarrior Resource Depot' for years and feeling the need for a fresh look and more usable layout. Priority is for a clean look, small page size and low bandwidth friendly (16-color GIF's for minimum size impact). All the while being PHP based (till now relied more on pure html-based pages than server-side scripting).

It validates normally through W3C, however - due to the free host I'm on it throws 3 errors (sloppy ad-code insertion by host). That will change once I can get back onto a reliable connection and getting my desktop/server back as well as restoring the MWR.

Thoughts, Feedback, Criticism? :)

Edited by Chozo4
LINK REMOVED

I see the text ads at the bottom. Are those yours or your host's? I like the design but the main navigation buttons are a bit tough to read. Perhaps try using a higher resolution to clean up the edges? Or a bigger font?

I removed the link to your site because you appear to be hosting some warez files. Feel free to re-link after removing such materials. Thanks!

I removed the link to your site because you appear to be hosting some warez files. Feel free to re-link after removing such materials. Thanks!

Ack! I apologize for that! The only one that appeared to be or construed as warez I have removed. The rest that I have are mostly win98 enhancements/add-ons/patches/dummy files (stubs)/ & debug tools provided by projects from MSFN here which I'd archived. Others are simply other freeware and misc tools.

It was my fault on the part of that single file that raised flags. I'd done a straight copy from my localhost and didn't think twice about what I still had locally in there.

Link has been re-added and I appreciate the heads up. :)

I see the text ads at the bottom. Are those yours or your host's?

The text/ads at the bottom are tossed in by the free host I'm temporarily using (t35.com) and annoyingly break validation as well.

I like the design but the main navigation buttons are a bit tough to read. Perhaps try using a higher resolution to clean up the edges? Or a bigger font?

I will put a wee bit more work into those as after looking hard, the gray-on-gray doesn't work as well as I'd wanted. Thinking of changing the text to more of an off-blue to more match the logo. All but the text was hand done using MSPaint and the text / format conversion was done using PaintShop Pro 7.0 so, roughness will be expected. I might need to change image editors as PSP7 seems to be overall poor with small font sizes as the anti-aliasing blurs them badly.

I will put more work into clarifying them this week once I get the chance. I really appreciate the criticism as I'm trying to get it 'just right' for once. :)

.. I was just never too great with buttons and converting to 16-colour images tend to kill some gradation. Hopefully my next pass with making the buttons will come out better with a clearer text. ^_^

Edit: T35 seems to be having server issues again. The PHP interpreter they are using is throwing out blank output with nothing other than their advertising. :(

Edited by Chozo4