Windows 2003 Server Printer Spooler error

I have 5 differant printers loaded on a Windows 2003 Domain Controller. I just started getting a problem the other day out of the blue. All printers are not showing up unless I restart the spooler service. Then about an hour goes by and I have to restart the service again. And when I do I get a error in the event log: Faulting application spoolsv.exe Event ID: 1000, Faulting module zlhp1020.dll.

I did remove a year ago a printer named HP laserjet 1020 that references to that .dll but its not installed anymore.

As of today I removed all printers and uninstalled all software to all printers and I still am getting same error. Now when I go to try to add a network printer on the network all printers still show up when they should not show up anymore because I removed them completly.

So one how do I fix error and two how do I remove printers so they don't show up on the network after they have been remove.

Any help would be great....

Thanks......

First...unless your domain controller is the only server available, you absolutely should not put shared printers on a domain controller. Bad print drivers have been known to take down servers (usually just the spooler service but I've seen worse).

You may be stuck in a loop where updating the LaserJet 1020 driver is the only option you have (rather than removing it). HP's drivers have been notorious for leaving things behind that cause problems later.

Edited by nmX.Memnoch

You could clean the print spooler (stop the spooler, search the registry for any mention of that .dll file, upgrade or remove any drivers that rely on it, or, if it's orphaned and no drivers use it, delete the .dll file and any reg references, restart the spooler).

I had problems (crashes) with that printer too, old driver from last year. xp sp2, no domain. Latest version from HP works fine (but you should clean up well after uninstall, and then reinstall the new one. I think that a registry key was involved, Zenographics or zspool. See if that is present on your computer(s). Because, and this is the weird thing, the driver crashed when the key was present.

GL

You need to manually remove printing. To do this, delete HKLM\System\CCS\Control\Print. Also, in the printers and faxes window, right click and go to server properties, and remove the printer drivers here. Stop the print spooler service before you do this.

-gosh