Enable VGA Mode on Start Up

tb582

I just switched out my 24inch CRT monitor to a 20inch LCD, now when I start up windows the monitor enters power save mode then says that its unable to display the current resoluiton. Ive tried using the Enable VGA Mode option but the screen just goes black... Do I have any other options here? I have tried hooking the monitor up with the DVI and VGA cables but still get the same results....

What I would try:

boot in safe mode (should get default vga, I think)

get to device manager, remove the monitor

reboot, and let it find the new monitor

Now you may have a bit of work to do on the display properties got get it the way you want, but it should be basically sorted.

Can you not plug your CRT back in and decrease the resolution and the Frequency ? (Actually I never moved any bigger monitor than a 21" and that 24" must be as heavy as a TV :D )

No luck in safe mode either, and unfortunelly the 24' CRT no longer works :( .... some good news though is I was able to boot up using Winternals ERD commander, anyone know how to change the resolution in the registry?

No luck in safe mode either, and unfortunelly the 24' CRT no longer works :( .... some good news though is I was able to boot up using Winternals ERD commander, anyone know how to change the resolution in the registry?

Yes. on my system its HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video\

or just f3 it and search for DefaultSettings.VRefresh and check its under same folder

DO NOT go to other currentcontrolset folder then standard, dont go to the CurrentControlSet001 or CurrentControlSet002

just CurrentControlSet folder. The other will auto update and the other is safe mode i think it was.

Yes. on my system its HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video\

or just f3 it and search for DefaultSettings.VRefresh and check its under same folder

DO NOT go to other currentcontrolset folder then standard, dont go to the CurrentControlSet001 or CurrentControlSet002

just CurrentControlSet folder. The other will auto update and the other is safe mode i think it was.

Thanks, I acutally tried this, but still can't get it to work. The monitor still goes black. Is there any other registry key that needs to be changed? How about something to reset the enable VGA mode so maybe that will work?

Thanks, I acutally tried this, but still can't get it to work. The monitor still goes black. Is there any other registry key that needs to be changed? How about something to reset the enable VGA mode so maybe that will work?

OK, u could try the basevideo approach as well. I would however, uninstall your graphics card drivers.

Then i would go ahead with a tool such as http://www.guru3d.com/category/driversweeper/

I havent tried driver sweeper, i was actually searching for driver.net something which worked very well.

Basically run such a tool get rid of all system dll exe sys files, inf files referring to your graphics card, all registry settings.

To get rid of all nvidia/ati what not registry entries, use a tool as Regseeker and search for everything gfx related and delete.

System reboot, and reinstall drivers. Also possibly check out omegadrivers and try those, tho i would prefer WHQL certified drivers myself.

OK, u could try the basevideo approach as well. I would however, uninstall your graphics card drivers.

Then i would go ahead with a tool such as http://www.guru3d.com/category/driversweeper/

I havent tried driver sweeper, i was actually searching for driver.net something which worked very well.

Basically run such a tool get rid of all system dll exe sys files, inf files referring to your graphics card, all registry settings.

To get rid of all nvidia/ati what not registry entries, use a tool as Regseeker and search for everything gfx related and delete.

System reboot, and reinstall drivers. Also possibly check out omegadrivers and try those, tho i would prefer WHQL certified drivers myself.

I ended up on using Find in the winternals registry editor and searched for Video - I was able to find the correct numbers to change. SO now it works in Enable VGA Mode - once in that mode I removed the video card from the divice manager restarted in "normal" mode, and walah!

NEXT ISSUE:

Who would of guessed that the WildCat VP 880 Pro video card that I was just using with a 24'' CRT at 1920.1200 Resolution, wouln't be able to display 1680x1050??????? I just figured that I was running a 24inch monitor at the right resolution that it would have no prob. displaying a smaller monitors resolution. Does anyone know of any drivers for the Wildcat card that will force it to run 1680x1050?

at current i use nvidia and it has nice function to create custom resolution , having advanced options enabled.

So possibly check see if your drivers have some thing similar. Either that or Try tool such as Rivatuner 2.09 or later.

PStrip is more of a tool for such a task, but im not familiar with your gfx card line, tho its 2 alternatives anyway better then 0.

Edited by TranceEnergy