nLite 1.4.5.5 a few questions and 1 small bug

rado354

I'm playing around with nLite 1.4.5.5 and I have some questions:

Do I need these components:

1. Toshiba PCI IDE Controller (I have a Toshiba notebook but install my own drivers)

2. Web Folders - does anyone really need this?

3. Extensible Authentication Protocol Service

4. Health Key and Certificate Management Service

5. Network Access Protection (NAP)

6. Route Listening Service

7. Wired AutoConfig

I connect to public Wi-Fi networks and to LAN networks occasionally.

Here is the small bug (nbtstat.exe is listed two times):

nlitebugbu3.th.gif

8. I can't see formulas in PowerPoint presentations. What component is required to display them properly?

powerpointgy4.gif

Other than this nLite 1.4.5.5 is simply amazing.

WinXP Pro SP0 + SP3 Final (no WMP11, IE7).

Thanks in advance!

:hello:

Rado.ini

1. I *think* this is old component - PCI IDE. All I know is I installed SP3 on a recent Toshiba laptop and it was not needed (I integrated Intel SATA, but that is not this). Try it.

2. I don't, and obviously you don't. :)

3.4.5.7. New in SP3, I see different opinions accross the forum. I'm not sure either. Research, but I think at this moment they are too new and their removal/dependencies still aren't fully sorted out. Leave them for now?

6. From it's description, it seems to me it's used in routers. But I don't have one. Maybe someone else could clarify if routers work with this component removed (I would like to know that too)?

8. From nLite's side, Extra Fonts (Webdings or Wingdins or Symbol). But Office (or at least PowerPoint viewer) install should have noticed you don't have them and installed their own? Another possibility is you did not select Equation Editor (which in turn installs its own, another, font) for installation during install of Office.

GL

Here we go:

1. Toshiba PCI IDE Controller (I have a Toshiba notebook but install my own drivers)

Actually i have not seen that Nlite actually removes this, I can always see PCI ide controller regardless if i tick to remove it.

Dont need the general of drivers on old windows cd's. Read: Pre-vista. Vista is carrying with it some legacy drivers that work for devices

'which have no drivers from their makers. Delete, delete...

No it never really took off, probably still needed for Active Desktop, but really, i dont intend to surf the net with an active homepage being

downloaded and integrated into my desktop. Talk about security hole!

Yep another service not really needed for normal internet usage. For home users, remove, for corporate/domain/school, keep.

I remove certificate managment in x64, its all good, tho i dont care to download certificates from website to verify that i can trust the website.

I trust my eyes, not some certificate, lol. Long story cut short tho. Safe to remove per se.

Im on x64 but dont have this service. Its copied from vista i guess. Safe to remove if normal tcp ip usage is all u need.

Isnt this also known as RIP service in router/modem? I never use it, safe to remove.

7. Wired AutoConfig

good job finding such things =)

8. I can't see formulas in PowerPoint presentations. What component is required to display them properly?

Looks like a font issue? I dont powerpoint im afraid =( I heard OpenOffice alternative are just as good tbh.

I would try checking if input method manager and those utils are maybe needed. Still, im clueless on powerpoint.

Great answers guys, that's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks a lot :thumbup

1. Removed.

2. Removed.

3,4,5,6,7 - New in SP3, I will keep them for now.

8. It was the "Extra Fonts" component. Do not remove it.

Lol i had forgotten its name, but still, nailed that one imho =)

However, while you are at it, if you dont mind, perhaps you could do some research and try to figure out exactly what font is needed to keep powerpoint happy? This would be great if you could accomplish that. Basically to figure that out, just move all the fonts out of xp folder\fonts and move 1 and 1 back in, until powerpoint shows the formula and what not, correctly. Or maybe even, it says what font is being used in powerpoint, somewhere. Or can you try to change the font? I have no idea =) You might need restarting in between, or get some program to flush memory in between moving fonts.

It would be great to know if powerpoint needs one special font or two or 3 or so, and then maybe perhaps nuhi can make it a optional component in itself. you see? All for the common good =)

TranceEnergy, since you mentioned the fonts, Extra Fonts was my first try :yes: The test was made with Microsoft PowerPoint Viewer 2007 in VMware Machine. I will try to find out what font is required tomorrow.

TranceEnergy, since you mentioned the fonts, Extra Fonts was my first try :yes: The test was made with Microsoft PowerPoint Viewer 2007 in VMware Machine. I will try to find out what font is required tomorrow.

Awesome. That would be cool. Plz post back especially if you found out if indeed there is a special font that is needed.

Also nuhi you should pm about that. Good job sir!

I'm playing around with nLite 1.4.5.5 and I have some questions:

Do I need these components:

7. Wired AutoConfig

nlitebugbu3.th.gif

powerpointgy4.gif

Other than this nLite 1.4.5.5 is simply amazing.

WinXP Pro SP0 + SP3 Final (no WMP11, IE7).

Thanks in advance!

These are needed for the built in windows wifi browser

From the "Extra Fonts" component we need Symbol (True Type Font) for PowerPoint presentations :yes:

Kicking a**! GJ

Now if i only had a copy of powerpoint i'd be happy to verify it, tho lol, i cant stand MS apps apart from windows itself =)

Which i try to get as small as possible, and then disguise it ;D

AFAIK powerpoint is however very much used program. Getting the font as an optional component, would be cool.

However, having said that, how many years have we waited for separate Print drivers? =))

I only need the generic driver, but nuhi did it with vista, you can keep generic printer driver, so im hoping we can see that in Nlite soon.

Once again, Good job!

Removing the "Extra Fonts" component and then just copy Symbol.ttf in C:\WINDOWS\Fonts (methods: OEM folders, sfx archive, addon) is a simple workaround. It should be fairly easy for nuhi to exclude that font from the "Extra Fonts" though... maybe in the next version of nLite :hello:

Edited by rado354

Removing the "Extra Fonts" component and then just copy Symbol.ttf in C:\WINDOWS\Fonts (methods: OEM folders, sfx archive, addon) is a simple workaround. It should be fairly easy for nuhi to exclude that font from the "Extra Fonts" though... maybe in the next version of nLite :hello:

Yup, AFAIK the KEEP and REMOVE section in nlite cant keep files under fonts dir. At least as much as i remember atm.

For all those using this program, and knowing this, its sweet. Having many fonts can also add to boot time, also uses more system memory. Many good things come with keeping a slim system. My xp x64 nlited xp hasnt crashed yet and i used to have some troubles lately. At least i know that didnt come from nlite, if anything its more stable then ever.