Auto rename computer from old AD name

After reformatting, is there a way that I can check what the computer's old AD name was and have it automatically change name back to that? This should hopefully have it go back into the correct OU in AD and the assigned applications should hopefully install. Will they install even though they've been installed on that computer already? To figure the computer name I was thinking I could somehow check its MAC address in the DNS server's records, though this would require me to write a service.

I imagine this has already been done. I won't have a chance to try this until next week but I'm curious as to how I should go about it.

Edited by bbrian

If you are installing machines using RIS, then the machine should keep its name, the machines GUID is stored in AD, so if you reformat the machine with RIS it "knows" the machine and gives it the same name.

in AD open the OU called "Domain Controllers" double click on the machine performing your RIS installs (if you have more than one DC then do this from the same machine that is the RIS server)

you should see a tab called "remote install" click it and then click "find clients" if it cant find any then remove the filter Servername* and hit find now again. you will see all the machines RIS has setup and also their unique GUIDs.

• 1 month later...