Need basic nLite help

aman74

Hi all, I've printed up the guide, but I have some questions.

In the beginning it says to create a folder for the source files. I just right clicked on my D: drive and hit send to and sent it to a folder I made. Is this ok? The guide assumes us non-technical people would know how to do it.

I wanted to just drag and drop, but how do you get the folder on the same page as the D: drive? Another guide said put the folder you created in the root of C: to drag and drop, but that still doesn't get them on the same screen to be able to do that.

My next question is about the hotfixes. Do I download them or somehow apply the one's I already have from using Windows Update?

I was looking at the WMP11 page and it lists them all, but I don't really know what to do. Should I be downloading these seperately and putting them into a folder? When I go to MS's page or do a Window's update it just downloads and applies them. There's no option to just download them to a folder.

I'm just really lost on the fundamental's I guess.

Thanks,

Anthony

The guide assumes us non-technical people would know how to do it.

The guide assumes non-technical people would not be interrested in using nLite. You don't even seem to be familiar with Windows Explorer or moving/copying files. Do you know where you're going to ? :ph34r:

The guide assumes us non-technical people would know how to do it.

The guide assumes non-technical people would not be interrested in using nLite. You don't even seem to be familiar with Windows Explorer or moving/copying files. Do you know where you're going to ? :ph34r:

Do I know where I'm going???

So can you help or no?

Yeah, I'm not that great with software, but I built my PC and I always thought the fresh installs were a pain in the butt, so I looked at slipstreaming and then heard about nLite.

create a folder on your drive D: name it WindowsXP(or anything comes to your mind). Then go to your CD drive or DVD drive (of course your Windows XP CD must be inserted) copy ALL contents of the CD and paste it to your created folder in drive D:.

Then run nLite click the browse button then locate the D:\(your created folder)\I386. thats it! your ready to modify your windows xp.

good luck.

So can you help or no?

still hesitating. :unsure:

In the beginning it says to create a folder for the source files. I just right clicked on my D: drive and hit send to and sent it to a folder I made.

On my system (XP), I cannot right-click a drive and choose "send to". Neither can I "send to a folder", only to a drive's root. So I don't know what you did.

Your D drive your CDROM, right ?

So either

-you let nLite copy its content (pointing to the CD) to a (new and empty) folder it lets you create with a name you choose on your C drive (NOT C:\Windows\ !!!),

or

-you create that new folder manually and copy the files manually (copy/paste will do) and then start nLite and point to that folder.

I wish you luck.

So can you help or no?

still hesitating. :unsure:

I'm not sure what you you mean by that? I was pointing out the fact that all you did was say that I'm a noob instead of offering any info. I see no point in that and I have no clue what "still hesitating" means in this instance.

In the beginning it says to create a folder for the source files. I just right clicked on my D: drive and hit send to and sent it to a folder I made.

On my system (XP), I cannot right-click a drive and choose "send to". Neither can I "send to a folder", only to a drive's root. So I don't know what you did.

Your D drive your CDROM, right ?

So either

-you let nLite copy its content (pointing to the CD) to a (new and empty) folder it lets you create with a name you choose on your C drive (NOT C:\Windows\ !!!),

or

-you create that new folder manually and copy the files manually (copy/paste will do) and then start nLite and point to that folder.

I wish you luck.

Thanks, this is much more helpful. I'll reevaluate what I did using your description and I bet I'll learn something along the way.