edit registries in an existing image

I have a solid working image, as a WIM file.

When the techs roll it out, they run a file batch script which configures certain settings. But it seems anytime I change anything in the HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT registry, it doesnt apply to new logged in users.

Is the default registry stored somewhere else?

I'm trying to change the default screen saver for a user.

In Windows XP, 2000, and 2003 there are several Registry files.

These files are named without a file extension and are stored in the Windows\System32\Config folder. These files are named Software, System, SAM, Security, Default, and UserDiff.

Google for president !

In Windows XP, 2000, and 2003 there are several Registry files.

These files are named without a file extension and are stored in the Windows\System32\Config folder. These files are named Software, System, SAM, Security, Default, and UserDiff.

Really ? :w00t:

I wonder how the batch script could work before this key info was posted here. :unsure:

But wait, how is this info going to be useful to solve the problem dkreifus posed? :blink:

jaclaz

To clarify more...when the image is dropped on a machine, there is a script that is manually run.

In that script, I change registry settings.

The problem is that when I change something to HK_USERS\.Default..... it doesn't take to the registry when it is loaded. So is the HKEY_Users\.default\ NOT the location for the profile to be loaded from. I could check the hives under the config folder.

That'll be my next step.

well, the trick seems to be that .DEFAULT isnt really connected to "UserProfilesDir\Default User\ntuser.dat". try to "reg load" the default user ntuser.dat and modify the loaded hive.

syntax:

reg load HKLM\Something Path-to-ntuser.dat

dont forget to call "reg unload" after you did the changes.

I'll see if I can find a MSKB article on this, for now, you have to trust me.

I've tried that, but the default doesnt seem to change.

I am trying to change the screen saver, and after i drop the updated WIM file down, the new changes aren't there.

And I know I've made it right as I see the changes under HK_USERS\.DEFAULT, but it doesnt take on a new profile