Intergrating external programs into nLite

carnage_lan

Hi Guys

First of all I must say i love nlite. Just started using it and created a few successfully XP cd's. Still learning how to use it properly. I've been reading up on installing External programs with NLite. cant seem to get this working. For example i would like to install winRar,Adobe Reader. how can i integrate these so it will install automatically when XP installs.

Some program installations are SVCPACK compatible (during Windows installation), some are not (they can be installed on first logon - RunOnceEx, after Windows install is complete).

a) look for addons in the subforum

B) create your own addons

c) if a program is not SVCPACK compatible, use nLite unnatended option to run a command - the program installer with silent switches

The program is probably NOT svcpack compatible if

- you don't find a nLite addon with it

OR

- you create an addon, test the ISO in virtual machine and it fails to install

It is more simple to install it via RunOnceEx - nLite unattended.

I am interested to know about the commands in the installation unattended in nLite (option c). but I have no clear shape as the command line as it is not like having the physical address (path). the disk can be mounted in any unit. Where I put my programs within the structure of the installation disc.

When you add through nLite using addons this program is responsible for locating my programs.

if not trouble you could put some simple example or explain the steps to follow.

thanks in advance.

Let's say you copy the Windows CD contents in "C:\WINXP". In that folder, you create a new folder called "PROGRAMS". There you put a folder called "OFFICE" (for example) which contains "Office_setup.exe". The setup program has a silent switch (won't ask you for anything, just installs in the background), let's say "/s".

So the full path to reach the program is "C:\WINXP\PROGRAMS\OFFICE\Office_setup.exe".

Now let's go to nLite: in the unattended section there is a feature to execute commands at first logon. There you will put the command to install the program silently. Taking into consideration that the CD drive name differs according to the computer, you can't just put "C:\" or any letter there. So you will put a relative path.

The command for installing Office (my example) silently will be: "%SOURCE%\PROGRAMS\OFFICE\Office_setup.exe /s". "%SOURCE%" will automatically convert to the drive letter where the Windows setup CD is located and the setup will execute.