io.sys problem

Offler

after some upgrades i realized that my slovak localization from io sys vanished and file was czech and later english. no problem for me but i just plan to have slovak versions...

i restored slovak version but system just wont boot. in dos mode i was very scared when i saw all my harddisks (except SCSI) empty. later i restored english io.sys and it works...

where can be the problem with it? i never met this kind of behaviour.

My wild guess is that you used a wrong version of the slovak IO.SYS... But, to be able to help you, I must understand better what happened. How exactly did you restore the IO.SYS? Elaborate a little, please. Moreover, you are aware that the most current version of Win 9x/ME IO.SYS is Q311561, of course, aren't you? That's the one you should be using, in any localization.

the czech io.sys was from previous installations of system. maybe it was part of czech sp1 and was remained on disk as a part of installation. english was added later and i really dont know how.

slovak IO.SYS was returned from second windows backup (i have actually 20gb disk with 5 complete win installations from different installation stages) so i think that that file was from WIN98SE SK installation CD. unpatched, but i never met such behaviour... maybe after major update of my system (due some project) something changed and something not.