Userenv error in "Event log"

3to4

Hello,

I just joined the forum. I heard Window XP SP3 is going to be out pretty soon. So, I wanted to prepare my installation using this fantastic software "nlite". What I want to do is to remove "Security Center" and "Automatic Update" at least.

So, I intergrated SP3 to Windows XP OEM (without any SP) by removing these elements, il installed fine, but I see "userenv" error in Event log. What I don't understand is that when I tested some time ago, I also removed "Security Center" and "Automatic Update", and there was no error in Event log, and this installation is even now working in another PC. But, unfortunately, I did not backup the ISO, thinking that the process was easy, and I could reproduce the same ISO.

As far as I remember, the difference is, when I made the first test, I removed many other elements as well. Is it possible that "not removing some elements" gives this error??

By the way, when I just integrate SP3 without removing anything, it installs without any error in Eventlog.

Does anyone have some clue? How can I remove "Security Center" and "Automatic Update" without having errors in Event log? I would greatly appreciate any suggestions. Thank you in advance.

i would just edit the startup type in the services tab to disable the 2 services. cant think of a reason why youd wanna bring back security center but the auto updates service has to be started for windows update to work so i at least leave it in even if its disabled by default.

Thanks, geek!

So, I tried several times, removing "Security Center" and leaving "Automatic Update".

I still got the same error in Event Viewer.

I also found a "setuperr" file in Windows directory, which goes:

Error:

Setup could not register the OLE Control C:\WINDOWS\system32\userenv.dll because of the following error:

DllInstall returned error 2147746132 (80040154).

Error:

Setup could not register the OLE Control C:\WINDOWS\system32\eventcls.dll because of the following error:

DllInstall returned error 2147549183 (8000ffff).

Error:

Setup could not register the OLE Control C:\WINDOWS\system32\swprv.dll because of the following error:

DllInstall returned error 2147549183 (8000ffff).

I checked, and these files are there in "system32" directory.

Has anyone succeeded in removing "Security Center" without having negative consequences? I really would like to remove it.....

as a general rule i leave everything in but just have security center (and a few others services set to disabled by default. that way i can turn them on later. saving space on the iso isnt that big of a deal for me.

Thanks for your reply.

I know, but my purpose is not really saving space on the ISO, but rather removing the components I don't like...

Edited by 3to4

Hello,

I tried many times by changing the combination of the components to remove. I notice that if I remove something, not necessarily "Security Center", I get this error. (If I intergrate SP3 without removing anything, everything is ok. Or, so it seems. )

When I get this error, I notice also that WMI service is missing. I have tried nLite 1.4.5 b2 and Final, but the same result. If I understand well, it seems like an earlier version had this problem....("'WMI failing"???) I am using OEM Windows XP + SP3 (5512). (I tried 5503 and 5508 with the same result.)

It seem that other people are not having this problem.

So, I would like to ask. What could be the cause of this?

Thanks.

Hello, all.

I have absolutely the same problem!

I had tried many variants and every time met this problem. Only in full system all is OK.

In last variant I remove only: old and not used hardware supports, all drivers (and install my new ones), all keyboards and all languages. No system components are removed, no tweak are applied, etc. I compare this system with full one and found that only in \System32\Wbem\ more then 70 files are absent (incl. winmgmt.exe! but winmgmt.dll - present)!!! In Txtsetup.sif and Dosnet.inf all (?) these files are present (in both systems). All files from Sp2.

Now I am investigating this problem.

My system: WinXp Pro Sp2 Rus VLK with integrated Sp3 (last version), now with KB952287 and KB892130 hotfixes, installed by Winnt32.exe. nLite - 1.4.5.4.

Many thanks Nuhi for nLite!

P.S.

Sp3: Administration -> Service -> Properties - "dependency tab" disappears! Is this a bug or may be adjusted?

Edited by litvinoven