Converting FAT32 To NTFS Loop

Drazick

Hello.

I have an Acer Notebook.

Yesterday I got into CMD and tried to convert my HD to NTFS.

Converting D went smoothly when I tried to convert C I was said it can be done and I would like it to happen the next time I restart my computer.

I said "Yes" and restarted it, Windows started the conversion process yet at some point the computer was turned off. I turned it on and it started the same procedure again with the same result (Just after the Disk Check).

I tried safe mode, which resulted in the computer turned off again.

Now, how can I make it stop trying to convert and just get Windows On?

Got Acer Aspire 5100.

Windows XP SP2 OEM (The same installation I got when I bought it a year ago).

AMD Turion TL50 1.6 GHZ.

2 GB RAM.

ATI Radeon Xpress 1100 Chipset.

IDE HD.

Thanks.

Edited by Drazick

First, you say the D: drive was converted - if that was an Acer Recovery Partition that may have been a mistake, depending on whether Acer used a non-NTFS-capable OS for booting to (when recovering).

Second, you say "when I tried to convert C I was said it can be done". Usually a preinstalled WinXP already has the primary partition formatted to NTFS. Not to say it wasn't FAT32; how do you know it was FAT32 - did you check the Properties?

Last, you say "turned off"... are you sure it just isn't going into Standby Mode? This will cause problems with any long-running program (as in converting a large partitiion). Ensure these items are turned off in the BIOS and in the WinXP Powere Management before attempting conversion (if it is indeed FAT32).

Hello.

Thanks for responding.

Both partitions were FAT32. I checked that.

It did convert D (I don't care about the recovery) while for C it asked to restart the computer and converting it on the startup process.

The only problem at the middle the computer gets turned off (It's not a standby, just like there is no electricity).

I think it might be a temperature problem (Too much heat).

First, you say the D: drive was converted - if that was an Acer Recovery Partition that may have been a mistake, depending on whether Acer used a non-NTFS-capable OS for booting to (when recovering).

Second, you say "when I tried to convert C I was said it can be done". Usually a preinstalled WinXP already has the primary partition formatted to NTFS. Not to say it wasn't FAT32; how do you know it was FAT32 - did you check the Properties?

Last, you say "turned off"... are you sure it just isn't going into Standby Mode? This will cause problems with any long-running program (as in converting a large partitiion). Ensure these items are turned off in the BIOS and in the WinXP Powere Management before attempting conversion (if it is indeed FAT32).

I believe it was Acer who is quite famous for sending out PCs with Windows XP on FAT32.

To try and solve this, perhaps see if you can enter Safe Mode and schedule a chkdsk /r

Ok.

Well, I think it was an over heat problem.

I opened up the enclosure and gave the cpu the feeling of a free air.

Suddenly it worked and the computer didn't get turned off.

Does it make any sense?