I can ping out but I can't connect via a browser.

foolios

The system had the webhancer bug. I used spybot search and destroy as well as tuts on removing webhancer. Well, as it was noted to be likely to occur; all internet activity was lost as the webhancer took out the winsock along with it. So I found the winsock repair utility and that tool was successful.

I can now ping out to the web via a dos window but for some reason ie will not connect to a website. I downloaded firefox from a different computer put it on cd, stuck it into the troubled system and installed it. Firefox won't connect to the internet either. I have the 10 mb local are connection icon visible. I've ipconfig /release, /renewed several times, rebooted. Reconfigured the workgroup, ran the wizard for internet connection several times.

Still no go. I can ping the router, ping the web, but I can't get a browser to display a page.

Any help would really be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

In a command prompt:

netsh winsock reset

reboot.

I tried that with no luck, same problem.

I tried using sfc /scannow and it completed. It didn't give me any messages so I assume everything is right with the core parts of XP.

Still not able to view the web through a browser though. I checked the firewall settings, windows firewall and added both ie and firefox to the firewall exceptions list.

Still not getting anywhere I don't think.

I've repaired so many network problems in the past. This one is the biggest booger of a problem I've ever had with a pc's internet connection.

I am thinking there is one other alternative to reformatting the entire pc. I could do a repair install of XP over this one.

Still hoping someone has the cure though. I am very interested to know and hoping I can avoid the repair install attempt as I've read it is not certain that data won't be lost.

The system had the webhancer bug. I used spybot search and destroy as well as tuts on removing webhancer. Well, as it was noted to be likely to occur; all internet activity was lost as the webhancer took out the winsock along with it. So I found the winsock repair utility and that tool was successful.
One must assume you you manual methods in addition to Spybot. You do not specify what methods you used. There are programs made by vendors (Symantec is one) to specifically remove Webhancer (as you call it "a bug", really "spyware"). One must also assume you refer to LSP-Fix as the "winsock repair tool". A simple Google-search on "webhancer" yielded these tools immediately. Did you use any of them?

Please be more specific as to how you got from-there-to-here (ignoring your next post as it's not telling much either).

Oh, and go here for a correction to your "netsh" command...

"Google is your friend" (p.s. this topic is in the wrong forum).

Edited by submix8c

netsh winsock reset catalog

Thank you for the link. I tried that, it was successful. Rebooted. Still not able to view the web. I can still ping out though.

The winsock utilities I used were WinsockxpFix_.exe and LSPFix.exe

After running spybot again. It no longer detects webhancer.

Ran AVG, everything seems clean. I am now running the rootkit remover app that was linked to in that page as well.

Edited by foolios

I gave it a go. All the entries for the protocol were there as described. I went ahead and deleted the registries and went about reinstalling the tcp/ip as described.

Everything went off without a hitch. Yet still no browser connectivity.

I went ahead and removed ie via the windows uninstaller, remove windows components and then reinstalled ie via the same method.

Still no ie connectivity with the web.

I can still ping websites, hardly any lag, 40ms ping rate.

I noticed that I can not view the network though. I have file sharing set, same workgroup name.

I gave it a go. All the entries for the protocol were there as described. I went ahead and deleted the registries and went about reinstalling the tcp/ip as described.

Everything went off without a hitch. Yet still no browser connectivity.

I went ahead and removed ie via the windows uninstaller, remove windows components and then reinstalled ie via the same method.

Still no ie connectivity with the web.

I can still ping websites, hardly any lag, 40ms ping rate.

I noticed that I can not view the network though. I have file sharing set, same workgroup name.

OK, I'm confused... what "web" are we referring to - Internet (i.e WWW) or an internal Website (or even an Intranet)?

P.S. "Removing IE" in XP does not uninstall it... it just kinda removes linkage to it (as if you had no browser). You already stated that Firfox also does not work, so it's not a browser issue...

Here's a beauty of a question... how's the router set up in relation to the PC; what's the IP of the PC (should have been assigned by the router?)? I don't use a router but I know that if all is not set up correctly, the router will block incoming (and outgoing) traffic. Last but not least, (this is a big DUH!) how's the actual Software Firewall (e.g. is it blocking IExplore.exe?) set up?

One more thing... try not to post another post right after your last post... try the "edit" button instead... MSFN frowns on extraneous posting....

Thank you for the reply.

The router sees the pc named Blue and has assigned it an ip of 192.168.2.10

I disabled all security at the moment to see if anything was interfering. I rebooted the router as well.

The router sees the pc just fine, the pc pings the router pretty good, 1ms ping time. Other computers on the network connect to the net fine.

The networked computers do see Blue but won't connect to its shared folder.

I did a repair install of XP and I am still having the same issue with that pc. I changed the port that the pc is connected to to see if something weird was going on there. Every other pc connected to the lan now using different ports still work fine on the net.

No change on Blue.

Wow, I am really confused now.

Edited by foolios