What is the difference between removing and disabling service ?

donixa

What is the difference between removing and disabling service ?

what i meant with removing is, removing it from the nLite customization...

im really scared to remove services, since i believe i just can disable and keep them, and somehow (which i pesimistic) if i need them i can just enable it

if there is not much difference, then it would just ok to keep them and have a performance by disabling it right ??

thank you,

Searched:

remove disable service removing disabling services

Disable: it cannot be used by any program. The service is still listed under Computer Management > Services.

-Theoretically you are the only one in control and can do the enable/disable under Services.

-nLite can disable, does not remove.

Remove: you effectively uninstall, the files are gone, the service is no longer listed under services. You cannot uninstall under Computer Management > Services. Instead:

-sc delete <service name>

-reboot

All this is a little off topic, but OK there is some relation with nLite

i forget to askk other important question,

which i though i already ask with 1st post, but actually its not complete. and may be not to clear enough, my english is bad

What is the difference between removing and just disabling it in terms of performance ?

this is the proper question,

i already know, disabling service, of course i can get it enable at some time,

but before ur answer, i never sure about what is nLite do when remove service, but now im sure about it,

yes im asking this, becos im abit uncomfortable when doing customization with nLite, especially at services section,

thank you,

In fact we don't know. We assume it's the same but we do not know ; nobody has ever made any study.

Services are often small things on the hard drive and live in svchost.exe which you can live without.

My reasons in removing services rather than disabling them are when they are removed, they can be reactivated (had some programs that change the startup mode of services on their own) and it makes a smaller and thus more readable list of services (and because I was angry at some components ;p ).

I have to say I experimented a lot before removing a lot of services. Always disable a service in a real installation before removing it completely.

I remember that nuhi once stated in a forum post here, that there where performance differences between simply disabling services vs. removing them and all their related reg-entries...

As it is always the case with nLite, then please remember to only select components for removal for which you know for sure that you aren't going to be needing later on, and this is especially important with this specific field of component removals(services, that is)...

However, if one is prepared to remake and reinstall whenever a new app dosen't work because of a missing component, instead of coming to the forums and whining about needing a post-install fix, then it's of course perfectly fine to experiment with getting lowest possible commit usage/install source size ;)