Sysprep Ghost and Drivers

Hey,

I have searched high and low for a solution for a MASTER XP image using ghost and I cannot find one that is either simple or works. I have been viewing this forum for a long time but caome up with no solution to my problem. THis post I have also put on the symantec forum as well.

I am using the driver packs from driverpacks.net and all the drivers install apart from a few PnP drivers. The sysprep file is designed to detect and use the correct HAL as well.

I am very close to succeeding in the project however I have become stuck on installing PnP drivers what require device signing. I have set driver signing to Ignore yet it still asks to confirm driver installation. Before I reseal the image I used the sysprep driver scanner from http://www.vernalex.com/tools/spdrvscn/index.shtml to add drivers to the registry key DevicePath registry key. I have placed all the drivers in the directory called C:/DRIVERS. I reseal the image and capture it with ghost.

I have set it in syspep to login to the admin account once the mini setp is run and then run the script that will shut down after 60 seconds. This giving XP time to find any drivers and install them before reboot. So when it does reboot the computer will be ready for students to simply use the computer. If anyone knows of a solution to this problem it would be extremely helpful. I will be writing documentation to this process since there is little about and documentation that is around it either outdated or very confusing.

Possible solution?: Whilst writing this I remembered that someone said that the OEMdriverspath command in sysprep will write to the DevicePath registry key. So could removing this line from sysprep fix it possibly?

Here is my sysprep file:

;SetupMgrTag

[unattended]

OemSkipEula=Yes

InstallFilesPath=C:\sysprep\i386

TargetPath=\WINDOWS

DriverSigningPolicy=Ignore

IgnoreInstalledDrivers=Yes

OEMdriverspath=c:\DRIVERS

UpdateUPHAL="ACPIAPIC_UP,%WINDIR%\inf\Hal.inf

[GuiUnattended]

AdminPassword="password"

EncryptedAdminPassword=NO

AutoLogon=Yes

AutoLogonCount=1

OEMSkipRegional=1

TimeZone=85

OemSkipWelcome=1

[userData]

ProductKey=xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx

FullName=""

OrgName=""

ComputerName=*

[Display]

BitsPerPel=32

Xresolution=1024

YResolution=768

[identification]

JoinDomain=STAFF.example.com

DomainAdmin=staff\ghost

DomainAdminPassword=xxxxxx

[Networking]

InstallDefaultComponents=Yes

[sysPrep]

BuildMassStorageSection=Yes

[branding]

BrandIEUsingUnattended=Yes

[Proxy]

Proxy_Enable=0

Use_Same_Proxy=0

[RegionalSettings]

LanguageGroup=1

SystemLocale=00000809

UserLocale=00000809

InputLocale=0809:00000809

[sysprepMassStorage]

*removed from this post becuase of length*

You don't want do use both the sysprep OEMDriverspath setting and vernalex's driver scanner. Just use the driver scanner. Might not solve the problem but it may help, I don't recall any more which takes precedence in that case but I think the sysprep one overwrites the registry key. And some drivers you will just be stuck with the window to accept the unsigned driver, there is a utility the watches for the driver signing window and clicks the button for you that was written in autoit.

Thanks for your help that was very useful :thumbup . I will look in to autoit for the installation process. Maybe having it installed only for the installation, accept the driver signing and then get removed later on. Another question I have thought about is: Isnt OEMDriverspath limited to around 4000 characters?.

there is a utility the watches for the driver signing window and clicks the button for you that was written in autoit.

Would you happen to know the name or where I can find this utility?

Thanks

Thanks. This method doesn't mention auto it at all and looks very complicated for what I need. I tried WatchDriverSigningPolicy.exe but didn't seem to work. Is there not an application that will simply click yes when the box pops up?

All you need from that post is the watchdriversigningpolicy.exe and then run it before drivers start to install.

While I don't know of one that specifically clicks the button you could modify this autoit script for your needs. I wrote this one to handle the mass storage driver integration for sysprep. from: http://www.msfn.org/board/Gaaaah-sysprep-j...535#entry555535

; ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
;
; AutoIt Version: 3.1.0
; Author: Isaac Holmes
;
; Script Function:
; Click Continue Anyway for hardware installation during sysprep
;
; ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

do

while not (winexists ("Hardware Installation") or winexists ("Confirm File Replace") or winexists ("Installation Complete"))
wend

Sleep (100)

if winexists("Hardware Installation") then send("+{TAB}{ENTER}")
if winexists("Confirm File Replace") then send("{TAB}{ENTER}")
if winexists("Installation Complete") then send("{ENTER}")
until 1=2

That script is great I am adapting it right now. Do you happen to know where the 'Add new hardware wizard' exe is located so I can force it to run on first boot. I will try to include all variations so the drivers will all install (or not if the driver doesn't exist) correctly and reboot ready for users. I will post it back up as soon as it is complete :thumbup. This method will be a great way to easy auto install drivers. Thanks