Ask for elevated rights in Vista

Hi !

Does anyone know how to make wpi.hta ask for elevated rights in Vista upon startup? I know there has to be a manifest file next to the program file that contains something like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>
<assembly xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1" manifestVersion="1.0">
<dependency> <dependentAssembly>
<assemblyIdentity type="win32" name="Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls" version="6.0.0.0" processorArchitecture="*" publicKeyToken="6595b64144ccf1df" language="*" /> </dependentAssembly> </dependency> <v3:trustInfo xmlns:v3="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v3"> <v3:security> <v3:requestedPrivileges> <!-- level can be "asInvoker", "highestAvailable", or "requireAdministrator" --> <v3:requestedExecutionLevel level="highestAvailable" /> </v3:requestedPrivileges> </v3:security> </v3:trustInfo> </assembly>

It should be called the same as the program so in this case it should probably be called wpi.hta.manifest but this does not work. Probably because the program is actually mshta.exe.

I would like to avoid placing a manifest into the %windir% folder were mshta.exe probably resides because that would then cause all hta files to ask for elevated rights.

Any other way ?

Thanks,

Alex

Hi again !

Answering my own topic because I found a workaround.

I created a cmd which starts Wpi.hta this way:

@echo off
if exist "%windir%\system32\cmdow.exe" (cmdow @ /HID) else if exist "%windir%\cmdow.exe" (cmdow @ /HID)
cd /D %~dp0

set WPI="\\share"

if exist %WPI% pushd %WPI%
start "" /wait wpi.hta check=None timer=3000
popd

exit

Then, I wrote a manifest file (see above post) and named it WPI_Installer.exe.manifest

Then I used one of those cmd to exe programs (in my case QuickBFC) to turn the cmd into an exe and named the exe WPI_INstaller.exe. I added the manifest file to the build (the program allows to pack additional files to the exe).

Now, when I doubleclick on the WPI_Installer.exe on Vista it asks for elevated rights, then it starts WPI using the above options.

It would be nice though if WPI could have a commandline option to start it using elevated rights directly without the above workaround !

Thanks,

Alex