Looking for WPI.hta in the wrong drive.

Using RunWPI.exe from cmdlines.txt I get the error message - "Windows cannot find "M:\WPI\WPI.hta". Make sure you typed the name correctly and then try again. To search for a file, click the Start button and then click Search".

Well, obviously it can't find it, the DVD drive is drive "I", not "M".

Maybe it's getting confused by the fact that I have 11 drives on he pc? C - D - E - F - G - H are drives and / or partitions. "I" is the DVD drive. J - K - L & M are drives created by the card reader.

How can I overcome this problem?

If I then manually run WPI.hta from drive I, everything goes ok.

On the virtual machine it works fine, but then, there are only 2 drives on the virtual machine.

Thanks in advance...

Being the simplistic id*** I am, I'd thought it would be a simple routine where the program checks to see if any drive has the folder WPI in its root. If some drive does, that's the one to use...

Obviously, if you say it's not that simple, that's because it isn't. Case closed.

I'm not sure exactly where the problem starts with it but sometime during setup with a card reader and ALL of the extra drives Windows reads them funny and the wrong entry gets entered during the running of cmdlines.txt I have tried lots of fixes and short of making WPI just ignore the first say 12 drives their was no solution I could come up with. I tried making the script read for the drives backwards (yannow z-a) and everything.

Ok, ok, you can cry on my shoulder. It's very noble from you to admit technical incompetence. Gives you high points in spirituality and gets the doors of heaven wide open. Unfortunately, it also opens the door to being sacked from whatever company you work in...

But then, who minds being sacked if the way to heaven is assured?

And the rest of your program is fabulous.

So it's 99,9% brilliant and has one wee little problem. Come on, don't look so miserable. Cheer up.

dosent cdswitch have a script that looks for CD.txt in all drives before continuing? maybe that could be modified....

FOR %%i IN (D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z) DO IF EXIST %%i:\CD.txt SET CDROM=%%i:

cmdow @ /HID
@echo off

ECHO.
ECHO Switch to next disc
ECHO Please wait...
start /wait cdswitch DSXPV2_D2 %CDROM%

ECHO.
ECHO Starting WPI
ECHO Please wait...
start /wait %CDROM%\WPI.hta

ECHO.

i think if you just edit out the switch disc part, that would work......?

Edited by tum0r

I had the same error trying to create my own unattended cd, but i found a tool called "RunWPI" in WPI page, this tool makes run your WPI and Runonce.

1. You need to edit the last lines of Winnt.sif with bloc notes, delete where says something like WPI.hta.

2. Copy RunWPI.exe to $OEM$ folder and modify the cmdlines with only this:

[COMMANDS]

RunWPI.exe

3. Thats it !!! :sneaky:

If it where that simple...

I get problems regardless of wether I'm using the RunWPI. exe of .inf alternatives.

The only way of running it without any problems is by starting it manually after XP is installed.