Wifi Problems

jim2029

I aminly use my laptop for downloading large files from hotspots and all there is where i live is dialup... I ahve a router at home that I do use for sharing files wirelessly between computers. DHCP is off. The modem port is not used on the router. Desktop is plugged in port 2 (has 4 ports on router). Wifi works fine here, I can even share my dialup over the lan ports on the router and the wireless. Yes, I do manually set the IP Addresses.

Now when I goto a Hotspot, I set my laptop to automatically get the IP from the router. And it does, it get a correct IP address, if i get a 169.*.*.* ip i goto command and renew IPs, then it get the 192.168.*.* ip there roputer uses.... But I can't pull any pages.... Any Ideas?

169.x is a private address, therefore it isn't valid. My laptop gets wifi just fine on ME, got on 98 and XP too. What method do you use to connect to the wifi networks? Are you sure you didn't set any IP addresses for the wifi card?

a home i do set an ip for my wifi card. and it works. But at the hotspot (Library) Its all DHCP. So i set it to auto get the IP. it does get the ip but doesn't pull a page. I know there using the 192.168.2.100-256 block as my xp laptop works fine. When my laptop sets it self to the 169... block I renew it and it grabs the correct ip then but still doesn't pull any pages.

Im using a Linksys Wireless G WPC54G pcmcia card. I'm using its program in Win98 as Win98 doesn't have wireless built in. When I use the card in XP I use Window's program.

Could this be a firewall blocking access?

or the DNS not working?

Obviously, with the 192.168.x.x IP address you're happy it has connected, so try things like

ping www.google.be

ping 208.69.34.230 (which is the same address, but resolved)

to localise things further

a home i do set an ip for my wifi card. and it works. But at the hotspot (Library) Its all DHCP. So i set it to auto get the IP. it does get the ip but doesn't pull a page. I know there using the 192.168.2.100-256 block as my xp laptop works fine. When my laptop sets it self to the 169... block I renew it and it grabs the correct ip then but still doesn't pull any pages.

Im using a Linksys Wireless G WPC54G pcmcia card. I'm using its program in Win98 as Win98 doesn't have wireless built in. When I use the card in XP I use Window's program.

Hmm, Windows 98 DOES have a wireless connection applet. It's quite simple too. Control Panel -> Wireless Network.

After you get an IP, try pinging a site. The ping request will hang for a while then display "Unknown host". Now open up your favorite browser and hit refresh. It should work.

Windows 98 doesn't handle itself very well when there are two network interfaces active, but a ping usually gets things going. If you also have a wired LAN card, try disabling that, you shouldn't have any issues then. At least that was the case for me, anyway Windows Me fixed all my problems. :P

Edited by Th3_uN1Qu3

Well, I got an auto ip from there router just now but I could not get a ping or pull a page. So I manually put in the numbers I was assigned, and rebooted... Still can't ping, but SeaMonley pulled this page...

I don't know how its working, but it is.... for now. I'll see next time I come here...

In my control panel, there is no Wireless icon....

Well, I got an auto ip from there router just now but I could not get a ping or pull a page. So I manually put in the numbers I was assigned, and rebooted... Still can't ping, but SeaMonley pulled this page...

I don't know how its working, but it is.... for now. I'll see next time I come here...

In my control panel, there is no Wireless icon....

There is no firewall installed... This is a fresh install of 98se with VB6 Runtime install, SP 2.1 installed, and kernelX (I think thats what its called) installed...

Edited by jim2029

well, while I was up there, I had to reboot.... when it rebooted I could not pull any pages again. Man, I wish I could chase down this ghost in this laptop...