Windows setup cannot detect any hard drives.....

dustinshawl

A few days ago my computer just stopped working. I've been some doing some trouble shooting over the past couple days in my spare time. Whenever I boot from the XP cd, It gets to the point where it loads all the files, then when I hit enter to choose "installation", it tells me that there is no hard drive. (yes, i didn't have it plugged in on purpose just for this next part). Whenever I do have the drive plugged in, it powers on (you can feel it running), but when it reads my video ram, it gets to the Asus screen, then freezes up. I'm guessing that my hard drive went bad on me, is there other suggestions, or did I hit the nail on the head?

Thanks

Dustin

I'm guessing that my hard drive went bad on me

If it happened just like that, probably yes.

If you were experimenting (physically moving things), recheck jumpers and cables (at both ends) if applicable. A semi detached IDE cable is quite hard to see.

If your motherboard uses a controller that the XP CD doesn't have a driver for, it will give you this message. You may need to F6 a driver during the install.

agreed. if you have a HDD that is SATA chances are you might have to get a driver from online. hit f6 when prompted when reinstalling and direct it to the driver....

whistling.gif and how does he load SATA drivers when his comp doesn't POST ?

sry didnt quite understand what was said. weird situation for a hdd to stop it from posting but likely thats the cause then..

If you feel its the HDD, try disconnecting it and see if it boots to the "can't find OS" message, whatever way it displays that to you. Alternatively, if it does get to this point, you can try replacing the HDD cable and see if that helps. We often find Intel boards that stop at the POST with the dreaded 5A and replacing the cable fixes it 95% of the time.